Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
I read one of the posts (I'm sorry lost the thread) that it is normal for a broody to get rid of rotten eggs? Has anyone else heard of this? The hen was away from the eggs for a couple hours, got tangled in the poultry net I put OVER the top of her private area.
barnie.gif
I was hoping the eggs would still hatch. I should start a daily post so I can keep up with the trials over having a broody for the first time in over 35 years.

What do you think on this one? I couldn't detect movement in the water but the egg was wiggling a bit in the bator two days ago.

I wish this thread was started differently than it was. Float testing is not a valid way to check for signs of life. It will only tell you whether or not the egg you're floating is fresh.

Wow great info i just did the floating test on my last chicken egg i have in my incubator it's been there for 27 days and nothing yet but the egg passed the test and it was floating showing only like 10% on top and rolling my friend keeps telling me to throw it away because it's been too long in there but i just hate the idea of throwing it away and wondering if it would hatch any second now ...any advise?? anyone please?

27 days? Well it is posable but not likely & even if it does it likely isn't going to be a healthy bird.

You say it passed as in floated at the right depth or it wiggled? If it wiggled & is at 28 days then your incubator is to cold or that is a duck egg.

Last edited:
Wow great info i just did the floating test on my last chicken egg i have in my incubator it's been there for 27 days and nothing yet but the egg passed the test and it was floating showing only like 10% on top and rolling my friend keeps telling me to throw it away because it's been too long in there but i just hate the idea of throwing it away and wondering if it would hatch any second now ...any advise?? anyone please?

My eggs were at 25 days & passed t/float test also. I candled them & saw no movement. I even saw a foot & no movement. I think i had t/humidity too low at lockdown, plus i had to take the first & only chick that hatched out of t/hatcher cuz it was bumping its head on the heating element. This may of damaged/killed t/rest of the eggs. All the eggs were alve & moving when i put them in t/hatcher for lockdown! I finally turned off t/hatcher at 28 days & cracked open 2 of t/eggs. They were fully developed w/yolk unabsorbed & a thick membrane. This was my first time hatching. I started w/36 eggs, ended w/13 eggs in lockdown/hatcher & ended up w/1 beautiful grey Americana/Australorp that thinks i am its mama. I am trying it again, i am on my 3rd day of incubating another batch.
Ill post a pic

Back
Top Bottom