Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
Duh never mind. The info was right there I just didnt see it! lol So as the chick develops the air sac gets SMALLER? That helps. Means I probably only have 1 viable left in the bunch. :(

No the air sacs grows larger as the chick gets closer to hatching so it has enough air to breathe before breaking the shell.

I made this video to show what it looks like to properly float them. I have more to add to it when I have time. If they move you are in business. If they don't, keep them! They still have a chance. If bad they will sink and 14 days in an incubator they will go bad.

I just wanted to thank OP for laying out (pun intended) a simple way to tell if eggs are viable.

A few weeks ago, one of my sweet tame buttons passed away unexpectedly, and his wifey had been laying eggs up until that point but was not going broody like she usually does. Too upset after her man died, I guess :(

Knowing that my time was growing short before the eggs would no longer have a chance, I had a Brinsea Mini Advance incubator next-day shipped from Amazon. I knew at least two of the six eggs were duds because those were laid after my little guy had died, but I have been fretting about them for the past three weeks until I came upon this thread and did the float test. I've got FOUR wigglers and I hope with all my might that they hatch so I can have a little piece of my beloved Scooter go on.

He has actually fathered two of my other quail, but they are super skittish due to being parent-raised.

Fingers crossed that all of these little eggers hatch in the next couple of days!

Just wanted to note that eggs laid after you lose all your roos can still be fertile for about a week or even two (rarely) afterwards.... as the little wigglers remain viable in the hen's ovaduct for some time. The likelihood of fertility decreases as the time without a roo increases, but it's worth a shot to try incubating them - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

We just lost a number of our hens and both main roos to a coyote recently. Fortunately we had a couple dozen of their eggs in the fridge. Haven't had coyote around here in years, as our place is mostly fenced in, & we also have 10 (bird friendly) dogs, but one slipped in under an opening in it.
I just float tested the chicken eggs that are due to hatch this weekend, along with a massive guinea clutch that the hen had abandoned on a cold night, during a storm.

Best of luck to you on your hatch! It has been our experience that "personality" is definitely an inherited characteristic, so it is likely that your hatchlings will have similar personalities & temperaments as your Scooter did.

Back
Top Bottom