Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
sktlmt - well you answered my question before I got a chance to ask it

Came to ask if the float test would be ok if they had internally pipped. I'm too new at this and have some darker eggs, can clearly see air cell when candled. I guess I will open viewing windows into the air cells of the ones I know were still alive before they reached the last day of turning. Might float test the 2 Marans egg, but I don't think either one of those developed.

Last edited:
Please read back 8-10 pages on this thread before dunking your eggs. I really wish the mods would put a note on it or something...

The only thing a float test can accurately tell you is how fresh an egg is. Thats all. It can incidentally show signs of life but there is no real accuracy to that portion of the test.

Before my duck eggs pipped internally, I did use the float test to confirm that one of my eggs was rotten and that the rest were still alive. I agree that it would be good to read back for more information, but I will say that I found this test to be very helpful. To be fair, I did have to do a lot of things in that botched hatch that people are generally skeptical of on this forum, and it went as well as it could have. Read up before you do anything that might harm the peeps -- I'm just saying I found this test to be valuable in my situation.

Lock down day.. eggs full but no moment.. candling shows only 3 quarters full. Floating with small air cell above water. One usual size. Please help.Thank you..

Lock down day.. eggs full but no moment.. candling shows only 3 quarters full. Floating with small air cell above water. One usual size. Please help.Thank you..

Not sure I'm following this completely, but here's my two cents:

When I float-tested my eggs, one bobbed right to the surface. It was very clearly dead. If you're on the fence AT ALL, keep the eggs, lock down, and do not float again. Once they start to hatch they puncture the air cell and you can drown the peeps. In my view it's better to keep a clear or dead one for a few days just in case. I was worried that my funky-looking egg would start to stink or that a newly-hatched peep would crack it in the 'bator. If you're not sure, there's not much else you can do at this point but proceed. Good luck with your hatch!

Brightpennies. Thank you for responding! Unfortunately I made typos, (not unusual for me and forget to proof
1f612.png
) so my post was not accurate. Corrections: Eggs at 18 days yesterday. They floated but no bobbing. Not completely full either. Wondering if they would develop completely in lock down. The main concern is the floating with no movement and didn't see movement when candled. The air cells have enlarged but some floated low and some normally. Anyway, I locked down. Hoping no explotions! Any thoughts appreciated for this hatching newbie!!
1f423.png
BTW Using homemade incubators..Tested and regulated for several days before adding eggs..still some adjustments with temp and humidity. We are trying homemade incubators, after too many attempts using 2 Little Giants! Disastrous!! Admittedly on a learning curve but could never get consistent temps. Thanks again!

Last edited:
No one ever reads through this thread. Probably 30 times or more ive posted on this thread that only thing a float test can tell you is if your eggs are fresh. You can occasionally detect signs of life but this not an accurate method for doing so.

Sorry if this has already been asked, I tried trawling through responses to no avail, but is this test conducted in water 100 Fahrenheit?

Back
Top Bottom