Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Pics
On day 25 with my remaining ingredients eggs in the bator. I did eggtopsy and found an early dud, and two that died already, another I opened into the air sac to see a moving chick inside. I wrapped in warm moist paper towel and put her back in. I float tested the remaining two and think they maybe alive. So how many days do I wait now?

It's 3 days since the last egg hatched under my broody hen. She rejected the last chick that hatched so I brought it in and put it in the brooder. I haven't been able to collect the unhatched eggs because she is crazy! Went out to check on her and the babies and one of the eggs left in the nest had hatched. It's been 3 days! I grabbed the baby because she rejected this one as well, and the 3 remaining eggs. I stuck the eggs in the brooder. My question is can I see if anymore will hatch in there? The eggs were expensive and I would like to get as many chicks as I can. Do I need to supplement humidity? I tried to candle them but they are welsummer eggs and I can't see a thing. Thanks for any help! ps. I don't have an incubator

Last edited:
I tried this test for the first time, normally I give them a week overdue then assume dead/rotten/etc, but mine were 3 days, decided to test as I didn't have much hope for this specific batch, and 5 clearly bounced, 4 clearly didn't. (I gave plenty of time to make sure) so I went on to autopsy to figure out what to do better, and found one that hadn't moved a smidge very much alive (the rest rotten/died in development) and now I'm trying to keep the membrain hydrated and hope she can absorb her veins and yolk. Has anyone else had issues with the float test??

I will never use it again, of the three that I flow tested one still had a living chick in it. Unfortunately she died even though I tried to keep moist
She is still alive for the time being and has started absorbing the veins so hopefully if I just don't sleep tonight, she'll make it.

How deep does the water need to be to do the floating test.
It needs to be deeper than an egg is long so that it can sink below the surface. It also needs to be around 99.5 degrees. You also need to make sure not to damage any eggs. You also need to get ready for the trauma of throwing away live chicks because it only works when it works.

Are you sure you want to do this?

I hatch batches of 30-40 chicks regularly, with proper heat, humidity, and ventilation. I candle at lockdown so that the only eggs in the incubator are fertile. Chicks hatch in waves and I remove dry chicks in the morning, at midday, and in the evening during the hatch. After the last wave, I give the remaining eggs another day and then carefully pip them to check for life. Then I do eggtopsies.

I can't understand why people are so attracted to the float test. Really just do the "smooth table-top test" if you want to try to detect movement. But if they're not moving, it could be because they are asleep. They aren't constantly kicking.

I tried floating tonight.
I have 20 Coturnix Quail eggs, 10 of which hatched on day 16 thru 18 (after a 6 day cool storage) so I have 10 left. Results of the float test was that 8 of the 10 floated low with about 10-15 percent of the egg out of the water and 2 eggs floating high like a bobber. None of them sank. This would lead me to believe that 8 of 10 should hatch?
Not sure how long I should wait before giving up on these eggs? My last quail (#10) hatched about 24 hours ago. No movement orchirping from any of the 10 remaining eggs.

Last edited:
My hen was sitting on ~9 eggs. Once the first one hatched she got off the nest. I am not sure WHEN she got off the nest as I am down there after work everyday. There laid a dead chick and the rest of the eggs. I put the remaining eggs in the bator. I threw one out this morning as it STANK! I candled the others; two duds, the others looked normal. I also float tested these last ones; two sank, the others normal. I put them all in the bator since the candling showed veins and a couple even very dark shadows. I guess I will wait and see! Suggestions welcome! ***My first time a hen sat***

Back
Top Bottom