Float Testing, Checking Egg Viability For Late Or Overdue Hatching

Okay, I've been hatching for years and love the concept....Here's my "dumb questions alert".....Is there a risk of drowning the baby chick if you do before lockdown. I know I read about look for pips.........

You can't drown the chick if the egg is intact. Before lockdown, especially, before the baby pips internally, it is still in its own little liquid environment, not even breathing. And the time it takes to check the egg is not long enough to cause any problems inside of the egg.

Quote:
NO HARM WILL COME SO LONG AS THE EGG SHELL IS INTACT--- ITS THE AIR CELL IN THE EGG THAT MAKES FLOAT TESTING POSSIBLE--- THATS WHAT IS ABOVE THE WATERLINE ON THE EGG, SO NO THEY WONT DROWN FROM FLOAT TESTING UNLESS THE SHELL IS COMPROMIZED
smile.png

Be careful to check your egg to make sure there isn;t a pip in it!!!!
I nearly did drown a baby that way - was actually in the water before I realised!!!!!! We rescued it and it was fine
hand hatched it quick though!!!! It was way past the hatch date so we thought it was a dead egg 28 day hatch!!!!

Anyhow it is a good test and even folk with very rare birds do this test so it should be really safe for your chicks!!!

Oesdog

You can candle to see cracks. Even if you do candle the shells are so dark it is hard, and sometimes impossible to see movement. I float test to make sure they are dead before I throw them away.

Alright I have it now and will try this next time. Although I no longer have quail, am I right that it will work with all poultry eggs? Thank you so much for all the additional clarification. BYC is such a great community. Have a blessed day and a wonderful weekend! nancy

Back
Top Bottom