Float Testing for viability

mochicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
NW Missouri
I have been wondering this for a while and keep forgetting to ask, I see that people float test their eggs in 100 degree water if they did not hatch in time but can you do it say on day 14 prior to locking down to get a good idea of how many may be good?

Good find Bill that's what I was looking for.

I ended up trying it earlier just to see what would happen, they are not due to hatch for 3 days, I had 6 sink to the bottom so I busted them to confirm and they were duds. I had a couple low floaters and they were place back in the incubator and then I had four that were moving the egg around like crazy. Looks like I will have at least 4 hopefully, if the others hatch I'll have 6-10

Ahh, 100 degree water. I knew the bad ones floated in the toilet
hmm.png

Well...Float testing is generally used to test over due eggs for viability before they are scrapped to recycle the bator/hatcher.

I doubt JJ would even encourage float testing eggs before lock-down. The principals are sound, and all that, but you really should give them the full term before you yank them out and start putting them in water.

Quote:
X2

Also in some bators the air isn't circulating throughout (stillairs) it is best to give the eggs a couple extra days anyways.

Back
Top Bottom