Flock Intergration - A New theory

Week 1 Update and Aussies Gen 2

Quick Note for those just tuning in

Australopes - Aussies 
Aussies Gen 1 (AGen1) = Aussies that where born end of July 2015
Aussies Gen 2  (AGen2) = Aussies that where born March 2016

Black Rangers - BR's

The BR's had settled into the life with the Aussies Gen 1, there have been no issues since the BR's have learned to give the AGen1's a wide berth.  The BR's are the typical teenagers running around, eating everything in sight aleast their poo has stopped stinking. They are eating adult pellets know and full steam ahead to being ready to process in a couple of weeks

We introduced the AGen2's to the mix a couple of days ago, so far no real problems other than they found out how to get behind the nesting boxes and the AGen1's and BR's eating thier food. Althought they where rasied with the BR's so they are no push overs.

Lastly had the local Ag Dept agent confirm what oldhenlikesdogs said that Aussies are usually easy going and integrating other chickens under 2-3 months of age works well.
Glad it's going well, and thank you to the Ag Dept Agent.

Reading this post has me.thinking I have 6 buff orpingtons that are 7 to 8 weeks old and faverolles that are 1 1/2 should I integrate now? I have them free range together and they are ok occasional peck from the older gals no blood. ????

Reading this post has me.thinking I have 6 buff orpingtons that are 7 to 8 weeks old and faverolles that are 1 1/2 should I integrate now? I have them free range together and they are ok occasional peck from the older gals no blood. ????
Sounds like you have already started.

I have ever just haven't put them in the same coop yet
I usually start by letting the young ones hang out in the coop during the day for a couple of days than I make them a separate pen in it for another week or so until I feel comfortable with all interactions, then they are on their own except for being rounded up in the evening if necessary.

Week 2 Update

Australopes - Aussies
Aussies Gen 1 (AGen1) = Aussies that where born end of July 2015 - currently 1 roo and 6 hens
Aussies Gen 2 (AGen2) = Aussies that where born March 2016 - currently 7 unknowns.. right now I am betting 1 roo and 6 hens
Black Rangers (BR) = Black Rangers born March 2016 - currently 25 will be heading for the freezer later this month

Another week with no major problems, I built a addition to the roost for the BR and AGen2s. Some take advantage of it. Most choose to roost on top of the feed barrel (much to my displeasure). I solved the trick of keeping them out of the nesting boxes by putting feed bags in the boxes about a hour before sundown and taking them out in the morning (althought this morning one of the AGen1 hens couldn't wait so she took the bag out herself to lay a egg)

Overall no major issues other than I have 2 happy flocks of chickens, there seems to be no real attempt at either flock to really intergrate. This will be interesting to see how the dynamic changes when the BR get processed later this month. Right now the plan is to process them over a couple of days since me and my wife can completely process one in about 30-45 mintues. We hope to have help but I won't count on it till they show and most of the help has not processed chickens or not in quiet some time.

Week 3 Update

Australopes - Aussies
Aussies Gen 1 (AGen1) = Aussies that where born end of July 2015 - currently 1 roo and 6 hens
Aussies Gen 2 (AGen2) = Aussies that where born March 2016 - currently 7 unknowns.. right now I am betting 2 roo and 5 hens
Black Rangers (BR) = Black Rangers born March 2016 - currently 25 will be heading for the freezer later this month

The bags on the nesting box trick does not work as well as it use to more and more of the BR's simple crawl the bags of the way or push them in. A few despite my best efforts still sleep on the feed barrel. Other than that its life as usual. Later next week the processing begins. Some of the larger BR's are challenging the adult AGen1's in the pecking other they no longer simply run away. So far the BR's roos seem content at chest bumping each other than picking a fight with the AGen1 roo..

Also we have expanded the run by 200ish sq feet. We plan on blocking part of it off to grow some barley, rye and other greens (much like a cattle farm)

Last edited:
Final Update (well for this thread)

Australopes - Aussies
Aussies Gen 2 (AGen2) = Aussies that where born March 2016 - currently 7 unknowns.. right now I am betting 2 roo and 5 hens
Black Rangers (BR) = Black Rangers born March 2016 - currently 12 will be heading for the freezer later this month

We have started to processing the BR's I had some medical issues that delayed it by a week. We have found the best temp to ease the feather plucking is around 168 - 170F. Right now things are interesting because it seems that the AGen2 have broken away from the BR's and have formed their own flock as well. However for the most part all the flocks get along with each other. IMHO BR are not suitable for anything other than broilers they are very flighty and frankly idiot birds. Also they sound like ducks/geese instead of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom