Flock Intergration - A New theory

Hmm... ok. I see. I'd be really interested in hearing your results with either/both of them for meat birds. I have 6 Cornish Cross that are 7 weeks old tomorrow. So the time is drawing near for them.
Australorps are good meat birds, our first batch we had 8 roos, 7 of them went to the freezer. They are good eating better than anything you can find in the store. Good luck on your hens.

I have been integrating chicks for 20 years. Older birds, anything older than three months always had a rough time. I too stumbled on it and was surprised how little the older birds bothered the chicks. Later when I had a broody hatch and raise chicks in the flock I noticed no one bothered those either and the roosters would actually participate in feeding them. Chickens don't know my chicks don't have a mother so they treat them like they belong. They still correct them and remind them who's boss. The chicks keep to their own group but are accepted into the flock.

I can't remember how old the birds where, I know most of the time it was adult birds. As far as this morning everything seems to be going well. We will get a good idea how flighty they get today the electricity company is timing trees today.

It's easy to integrate young chicks to a flock because it's normal and not a threat. They assume they are someone's chicks. Older birds are seen as intruders. I let my adult birds see my 6-8 week chicks for about a week than I let them out. There's an occasional peck but just like you've seen it's easy. The bedding had nothing to do with it.

I have been integrating chicks for 20 years. Older birds, anything older than three months always had a rough time. I too stumbled on it and was surprised how little the older birds bothered the chicks. Later when I had a broody hatch and raise chicks in the flock I noticed no one bothered those either and the roosters would actually participate in feeding them. Chickens don't know my chicks don't have a mother so they treat them like they belong. They still correct them and remind them who's boss. The chicks keep to their own group but are accepted into the flock.
Guess my ovations ran out.....<scratcheshead>...great posts by OHLD!

Guess my ovations ran out........great posts by OHLD!
Thanks @aart, I like your posts too.
1f600.png

Day 3 Update - Going good, tonight they finally learned to get in the coop before it gets too dark. Now if I can get them to learn to get off the ground and onto the roost (even its the one that is low to the ground and not the ones the adult birds use). Seems like they have learned where they fall on the pecking order and they are slowly exploring the run. Today was a rough day because the electric company was trimming trees around the power line (which is close the coop). They did not like the chainsaws.

The only real negative I see with Black Rangers is their poo really smells.

Most will pile on the floor until 3-4 months of age. It takes skill and strength to grip a roost bar all night.

Most will pile on the floor until 3-4 months of age. It takes skill and strength to grip a roost bar all night.

I know could be worse places they could sleep. When the Austrolopes where growing despite being told they where a breed that did not like to sleep high up roosted on the sides of the pallets we used to build the coop most where 4 or 5 feet up. Not they sleep on the adult roost with is a couple of 2x4's on top of buckets with 2 4x4's as the roosts. The kiddie roosts is a couple of pieces of a pallet that is 3 or 4 inches off the ground.

Day 3 Update - Going good, tonight they finally learned to get in the coop before it gets too dark. Now if I can get them to learn to get off the ground and onto the roost (even its the one that is low to the ground and not the ones the adult birds use). Seems like they have learned where they fall on the pecking order and they are slowly exploring the run. Today was a rough day because the electric company was trimming trees around the power line (which is close the coop). They did not like the chainsaws.

The only real negative I see with Black Rangers is their poo really smells.
Put a roost up just for the newbies, a little lower than the main roost...the existing birds probably won't let them up on the main roost.

What are you feeding the rangers?
I've read that fermenting the feed can reduce fecal odor drastically, as well as reduce feed consumption volume as it makes the nutrition more digestible/absorbable.

Put a roost up just for the newbies, a little lower than the main roost...the existing birds probably won't let them up on the main roost.

What are you feeding the rangers?
I've read that fermenting the feed can reduce fecal odor drastically, as well as reduce feed consumption volume as it makes the nutrition more digestible/absorbable.
I have a roost for them, they roost on it during the day but not a night. As for the food its the same food I been using, I have 7 Austrolpe biddies eating the same food.

Week 1 Update and Aussies Gen 2

Quick Note for those just tuning in

Australopes - Aussies
Aussies Gen 1 (AGen1) = Aussies that where born end of July 2015
Aussies Gen 2 (AGen2) = Aussies that where born March 2016

Black Rangers - BR's

The BR's had settled into the life with the Aussies Gen 1, there have been no issues since the BR's have learned to give the AGen1's a wide berth. The BR's are the typical teenagers running around, eating everything in sight aleast their poo has stopped stinking. They are eating adult pellets know and full steam ahead to being ready to process in a couple of weeks

We introduced the AGen2's to the mix a couple of days ago, so far no real problems other than they found out how to get behind the nesting boxes and the AGen1's and BR's eating thier food. Althought they where rasied with the BR's so they are no push overs.

Lastly had the local Ag Dept agent confirm what oldhenlikesdogs said that Aussies are usually easy going and integrating other chickens under 2-3 months of age works well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom