Flooded Duck Nest!

This morning when I fed my ducks mama duck left the nest and there were 4 wet baby ducks! And one egg pipped and still alive! I’m quite surprised mama left the nest. All my other mother ducks have basically stayed in “lockdown” on the nest while babies are hatching. I’m considering taking these 4 indoors while she hatched the last few.

Mama duck is currently still eating and off the nest so I did take the 4 that hatched. She did not seem to care. She’s supposed to be mostly Khaki Campbell so maybe she’s not the best mom. I’m worried about the one that pipped. Hope she goes back to it soon
FF94AE81-9567-4030-B64B-56D9AA9022F8.jpeg

2EE82AE1-8C35-4CD4-88F5-23D489FB29B8.jpeg

I went back to check the nest and mom still hadn’t returned!! She’s just preening and eating and wandering around! So I took the pipped egg and now I have it in in the house with hot water bottles.. I don’t have an incubator unfortunately. I would much rather have had mom do it but I was getting really worried about it getting cold.

Baby is still chewing and yawning a bit but I don’t see any blood or veins on the exposed membrane. I’m not going to assist yet.

There are 4 more eggs in the nest and none are pipped. I didn’t hear any peeping but if she still hasn’t returned in a bit I’ll candle them. The last time I candles there were 6 definitely alive so I’m hoping one more egg will hatch

Sounds like the pipped one still has a way to go if yawning and chewing. I don't have a bator either I let my Muscovy do all the work. Be careful you don't over heat the egg with the hot water bottles.

About how long does it take to go from the chewing stage to actually being ready to hatch? Thanks!

Yep, I’m worried about over heating, under heating.. ugh. My other mama ducks were excellent!

I temporarily put the pipped one with its siblings while I set up a styrofoam cooler for it. I’m just hoping it hatches and is stable before I have to go to work tomorrow
083107BD-A852-409E-A47F-713D22F66627.jpeg

Did she finally return to her nest? if she did and sticks to it you could always place this one back under her tomorrow if you think she'll stay with it.

Back
Top Bottom