Floor options for deep litter method

Crawfomc7

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2023
I am going to be implementing a deep litter method for our coop. I converted an old shed with plywood flooring. I don’t want to put the bedding on that directly since the deep litter method will cause it to rot more quickly. Also, it’s too complicated to cut out the floor of the shed (it’s raised a bit so I’d have to extend walls and run a skirt to keep predators out) so I’m looking for an alternative. Also I figure plastic or a rubber paint wouldn’t be great because of the heat from composting and chemicals that it could absorb. Does anyone have other options you’ve used for deep litter method? I’ve considered buying plywood and installing that on top of the existing floor as a barrier that I could replace when it rots in hopes that the primary floor would be ok. Is a laminate flooring safe to use for deep litter? Thank you for the replies in advance!

I am going to be implementing a deep litter method for our coop. I converted an old shed with plywood flooring. I don’t want to put the bedding on that directly since the deep litter method will cause it to rot more quickly. Also, it’s too complicated to cut out the floor of the shed (it’s raised a bit so I’d have to extend walls and run a skirt to keep predators out) so I’m looking for an alternative. Also I figure plastic or a rubber paint wouldn’t be great because of the heat from composting and chemicals that it could absorb. Does anyone have other options you’ve used for deep litter method? I’ve considered buying plywood and installing that on top of the existing floor as a barrier that I could replace when it rots in hopes that the primary floor would be ok. Is a laminate flooring safe to use for deep litter? Thank you for the replies in advance!
I've read where people lay a piece of vinyl flooring on top of plywood.

I've read where people lay a piece of vinyl flooring on top of plywood.
Have you heard or are you aware if the vinyl will excrete chemicals into the bedding? I didn’t mention this earlier but I’d like to be able to compost the deep litter bedding and add to my garden eventually. So I don’t want it having a bunch of chemicals in it. Thanks for your reply!

Deep bedding is what you're looking at. It should not hasten any rot as it stays dry.

Have you heard or are you aware if the vinyl will excrete chemicals into the bedding? I didn’t mention this earlier but I’d like to be able to compost the deep litter bedding and add to my garden eventually. So I don’t want it having a bunch of chemicals in it. Thanks for your reply!
Welcome to BYC! :frow

I have and hate the vinyl folks are so fond of. Bugs (pill bugs, earwigs, etc) like to go between the wood and vinyl.. in my humid location which means other things can too, maybe it should be glued down instead of just stapled). I have the wood under the vinyl painted or stained as well as the addition of the vinyl. The maker/builder of Carolina Coops also recommends against vinyl..

I'm gonna recommend deck stain.. I have used standard (decent quality) outdoor paint in some of my smaller coops.. and not had issues with it chipping or scraping off when I use a poop scooper, shovel, or rake.. to remove old bedding.

Deep litter didn't work well for my free range flock who could give a rats patootie about turning litter in the coop. It was not MY preferred method. I do still use deep "bedding" though described here..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Some good tips..

https://www.thespruce.com/keep-chicken-coop-smelling-clean-fresh-3016827

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-deep-litter-method-of-waste/

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! :frow

I have and hate the vinyl folks are so fond of. Bugs (pill bugs) like to go between the wood and vinyl.. in my humid location which means other things can too, maybe it should be glued down instead of just stapled). I have the wood under the vinyl painted or stained as well as the addition of the vinyl. The maker/builder of Carolina Coops also recommends against vinyl..

I'm gonna recommend deck stain.. I have used standard (decent quality) outdoor paint in some of my smaller coops.. and not had issues with it chipping or scraping off when I use a poop scooper, shovel, or rake.. to remove old bedding.

Deep litter didn't work well for my free range flock who could give a rats patootie about turning litter in the coop. It was not MY preferred method. I do still use deep "bedding" though described here..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Some good tips..

https://www.thespruce.com/keep-chicken-coop-smelling-clean-fresh-3016827

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-deep-litter-method-of-waste/
This is really helpful! I have some homework to do reading some of this. From a quick glance, I think this might be a great fit for me.

We use just pin shavings in the coop. The coop is raised. We clean out the shavings every 6 months. Occaisionally we add a small layer on top. They girls turn it for us. When we clean out we find the plywood floor completely dry. The coop is now six years old. No rotting. This picture is a few years old, but I expect it will look just like this when we clean out the coop in the next month.

Attachments

• floor.JPG
    floor.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 108
We use just pin shavings in the coop. The coop is raised. We clean out the shavings every 6 months. Occaisionally we add a small layer on top. They girls turn it for us. When we clean out we find the plywood floor completely dry. The coop is now six years old. No rotting. This picture is a few years old, but I expect it will look just like this when we clean out the coop in the next month.
Awesome! Thanks!

I have a plywood floor that is painted in Killz barn paint. I decided this year to put in a vinyl floor. Got some peel and stick squares on clearance for 25$ that covered the whole floor. Deep Hemp bedding will be going on top of this

Attachments

• E9BA7687-3381-4D39-B7FB-D0DF29D48609.jpeg
    E9BA7687-3381-4D39-B7FB-D0DF29D48609.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 110
Welcome to BYC. If you put your general location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice.

Deep Bedding and Deep Litter are two different things. From my article:

Deep Bedding: A dry, non-composting system where you keep adding bedding to the coop as it becomes soiled -- managing it by turning it as necessary (or getting the chickens to turn it for you) -- and clean it out only infrequently when the bedding has become both thoroughly soiled and piled up to the point of not being able to add more. Usually used above a floor in the coop but *can* be done in a covered run over dirt in a favorable climate.

Deep Litter: A moist (not wet, moist), system where the lower layers of material are actively composting while new, dry material is continually added to the top. *Can* be done on any floor surface but is most readily accomplished on a dirt floor because the dirt will seed the material with the beneficial composting organisms.

It's *possible* to do Deep Litter in a coop with a floor, but difficult. Not only do you have trouble keeping the moisture level adjusted but you don't have the benefit of the natural composting organisms found in the dirt to kickstart the process.

Mostly, if you have a floor in the coop it's simpler to use Deep Bedding in the coop and save the Deep Litter for the run. :)

Back
Top Bottom