Floor options for deep litter method

I use the dry deep bedding method, but I still painted the entire floor and about three feet up the wall with BlackJack 57. The coop cost too much to build to want to redo anything. Before anyone comments anything about it not being natural or organic or whatever, don't bother. I did my research and I'm happy with my choice. Others may be uncomfortable using it, and so they won't use it. That's one of the great things about America.

My old coop used a deep DRY bedding system, on top of bare unpainted OSB plywood, it's at least 20yrs old and the floor isn't rotted. I think they key here is the DRY bedding and DEEP, ours was like 14" deep when "full". Personally I'd just look toward something as simple as gloss enamel latex paint, moisture barrier paints/coatings, stall mats, sheet vinyl flooring, etc.

In my current new coop I just went with 4 coats of gloss enamel paint on the floor/walls and planned to just keep the bedding nice and dry and top it off regularly like I was doing in the old coop - but then the chickens ended up preferring sleeping in the new run for the last 2yrs instead of their overdesigned coop, lol

We use just pin shavings in the coop. The coop is raised. We clean out the shavings every 6 months. Occaisionally we add a small layer on top. They girls turn it for us. When we clean out we find the plywood floor completely dry. The coop is now six years old. No rotting. This picture is a few years old, but I expect it will look just like this when we clean out the coop in the next month.
When I put in a fresh layer of straw the hens pick,kick,scratch and work everything together and as it dries and integrates into dust as it gets worked in I add an additional layer or more I like it built up a bit. I have found that it just doesn’t get very deep… it’s fairly no maintenance care free,

Back
Top Bottom