Floppy comb and loose stools

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
I have 5 hens who are almost 18 months old. I also have 4 pullets who are just over 5 months old. They are all eating grower feed with oyster shell and grit on the side. At least 2 of my pullets have started laying. I don't know which.

One of my pullets, has a fairly large comb that started flopping over. Notice in the photos, that a couple of the tips are pale. She seems healthy and happy, but, I'm concerned. I'm pretty new to chickens, and this is new to me.

I've also been noticing some loose stools. Mostly when they are out free-ranging, while I'm clean the coops and run. I'm pretty sure it's from the big girls, because they sleep separately, and I'm not finding these where the pullets sleep. I've checked bottoms, and find one hen, in particular, who was messy. I trimmed her up, and she pooped on me during the trim. It was watery. However, she was also unhappy about the trimming, and that could have contributed to the wateriness. Her vent looks red and sore. This particular girl has a history of messy bottom. The others are never messy. But, even this one has been clean until recently (like the past week or so). She otherwise seems healthy and happy. I wonder if maybe the grower food is a bit rich for her. Should I worm them if I'm not seeing any worms?

Attachments

• received_1275129376401632.jpeg
    received_1275129376401632.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 34
  • received_673909810854962.jpeg
    received_673909810854962.jpeg
    503 KB · Views: 6
  • received_824220505319260.jpeg
    received_824220505319260.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The pale comb tips look like very mild frostbite. I'm guessing you, like a lot of the country, had some freezing weather recently. I'd double check the coop for excess moisture or drafts, but it can be difficult to prevent frostbite in chickens with large combs when the temps get really cold.

The poop doesn't look too unusual to me and temp drops and extreme weather can also stress out chickens, which can lead to diarrhea, so I'd hold off on worming them until you're sure it's more than that. Too much protein in the diet can also lead to watery poops, but not sure how likely that is from grower feed.

Last edited:
Thank you @Razzlefrazzle . I will hold off worming, for now. We did have extremely cold temps, but are currently in a warm up. Hopefully, the comb tips will color up. No concerns over the comb flopping, then?

Thank you @Razzlefrazzle . I will hold off worming, for now. We did have extremely cold temps, but are currently in a warm up. Hopefully, the comb tips will color up. No concerns over the comb flopping, then?
Not really. Large combs that are "top heavy" will flop and as she's still maturing it might be her normal look. Dehydration can cause flopping, but the combs tend to look more withered when that is the issue. Your girl looks quite healthy to me đź‘Ť

Back
Top Bottom