FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Thankfully we've never had any issues with neighbors. I thought pasco was backyard chicken friendly!?

Unfortunately, after posting pics a few days ago, learned that 3 of the new chicks are cockerels. I'm quite upset about this actually. They're my favorites of the 8 we got!

I'd love to visit and see your setup!

How do you raise mealworms?
I have one of those plastic storage dorws things that I have put oatmeal and cornmeal in the bottom (I added some powdered vitamins) add mealworms and for water I give potato's, lettuce, cucumbers, Apple's (just a couple slices) every couple days and pull anything they have not eaten

You are welcomed to come check it out! It is still a work in progress!
Thankfully we've never had any issues with neighbors. I thought pasco was backyard chicken friendly!?

Unfortunately, after posting pics a few days ago, learned that 3 of the new chicks are cockerels. I'm quite upset about this actually. They're my favorites of the 8 we got!

I'd love to visit and see your setup!

How do you raise mealworms?

like most I have them in a container at the moment but am going to get a larger " worm factory" for them...lol. Mine love parsley from the bush outside and I got my first beetles so I must be doing something right. So far they like to pluck them from my hands but I am making a wet mash now and adding to it well ground up dried corn as well as mealworms for a but of wiggly fun on their next bowl.

Brynda
Head Hen of the Beaks and Talons Inn (aka the coop)

Last edited:
So I'm out of sync with planting times... I should have started as soon as "winter" was passed, at latest. Good to know.

You can use the chicken manure as fertilizer? I thought I read somewhere that it was too... something... acidic or something?

And we also have a koi pond. So when I washed out the filters earlier today, that grey water would be good for plants?

Thanks!
stream going to the pond, pump to bog
bog

Was looking for other beddings now I know...lol, I don't have anyplace to get sawdust unless I make it myself and I don't do a lot of woodworking. Now I know oatmeal works... whoohoo
I've done it for 2 years with oatmeal only started with 500 worms and would have more but the birdies and friends keep taking them. Lol

So I'm out of sync with planting times... I should have started as soon as "winter" was passed, at latest. Good to know.

You can use the chicken manure as fertilizer? I thought I read somewhere that it was too... something... acidic or something?

And we also have a koi pond. So when I washed out the filters earlier today, that grey water would be good for plants?

Thanks!
We plant our gardens in the winter. We start a lot of our seeds in our green house around September/October. We compost the chicken poop along with grass clippings, leaves and branches we put through our chipper/shredder. I use litter in the coops and when I clean out the coops it goes into the compost along with plant scraps. Plants like collards and most green, lettuce, onions, kale, peas, cauliflower, broccoli and others can tolerate frost. The nightshades need to be covered to be protected from the frost. Here are a few pictures.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom