FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

@coachjb54 I did have an owl get in and kill several birds. I put my game camera up because I couldn't figure how a predator was getting in my pens. I have had a Bobcat, Fox, Coyote, Possum, Hawk and Owl kill some of my birds in the past. For the ground predators I have electric wire around my coops and pens and the netting over the pens. Most everything likes chicken. Since I haven't lost a bird to a predator except a Fox that dug under a gate so I put concrete under my gates. I have had some wet feed at times in the open coops when it rained so I did put the tarps up. Shade is a big factor in the summer months especially. I also have shade/rain tables in each pen. I do keep my birds separated and do let them out to free range but not all at once. What worked for me may not for you. Good luck and have fun...

These pictures were taken several years ago when I planted trees in all of the pens. The trees are much bigger and have grown up through the netting.

A Red-Tailed hawk. I see them most every day.

Security is definitely a concern. All of the predictors mentioned above...I see them regularly, and our chicks are still in the brooder! I bet they will be coming around investigating once the coop is up, and full of birds.

Great pictures. Really helps me visualize things that I want to do with our coop. I'll be sure to post pictures as I get to building.Thanks again!

-JB

I had a gal that was buying birds from me. I didn't mind selling them but every few months she would be back for more because predators were killing her birds, I finally told her I wasn't selling anymore. I put a lot of effort into raising my birds and didn't want to sell them anymore to be killed by predators. It's been many years since I lost a bird to predators and I have lost some and when I discovered what was killing them I rectified the situation so no more would be killed. Almost everything likes chicken. Most people want to raise them for eggs, which I do too but I hate to see them get killed by predators when it can be prevented. Again good luck and have fun...

I am going over on Saturday May 20th. I have some birds I need to re-home. It's probably nearly a 2 hour drive for me one way. Every time I go over I sell my birds rather quickly. At least it helps with the feed bill.

Barberville Family Farm Swap & Market
1st and 3rd Saturday every month
8 till noon (vendor setup starts at 7 am)
1776 Lightfoot Ln
Barberville, FL 32105
---> MAP
(386)469-9409
[email protected]
http://FarmSwapMarket.com
@cmom..Does the Barberville swap seem to have a lot of people go to it? What about prices? I don't have any $2 chicks. Are people looking for cheap or quality fowl? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!!

Barberville has been going on for several years. They do have a good turnout and most of the people that sell there are pretty regular. Some people want birds for eggs, some to resell and some to eat. When I take birds over there I really don't care what their intentions are I just need to get rid of some birds and I do pretty quickly. I usually have around 400 birds to feed so that is a pretty hefty feed bill. They do have a selling fee of $5.00 but to me that is ok because I sell my birds pretty fast at the price I want. People do come up and try to get the birds for practically nothing but again I usually sell them pretty quickly at the price I want. Quite a few people will haggle but I stick to my prices. I usually take 30 to 40 birds over at a time. I do take pride in my birds. Males I let go cheaper than the females. I'm going over on May 20th to sell several of my Rhode Island White hens and a couple of males. Have to make room. They have their swaps on the 1st and 3rd Saturday's monthly. Right now I'm hatching chicks.

I have a silkie cockerel that I need to find a new home for. He is currently 5 1/2 weeks old. I was going to take him to TSC on the Saturday they do a little swap meet. I need opinions on selling. Will people buy a silkie cockerel? I was hoping to get a little back to help with food expense. Also if I can sell, about how much should I ask? Thanks in advance

I have a silkie cockerel that I need to find a new home for. He is currently 5 1/2 weeks old. I was going to take him to TSC on the Saturday they do a little swap meet. I need opinions on selling. Will people buy a silkie cockerel? I was hoping to get a little back to help with food expense. Also if I can sell, about how much should I ask? Thanks in advance

In my opinion and experience it will probably be hard to sell him sometimes they are hard to even give away. If you were to sell him i would recommend 3 to 5 dollars as a asking price. The only roos I've learned that are easy to sell are big breed full grown as people want them for a pot and ready to breed rare breed roos. I am getting ready to offer a bunch of cream legbar and a couple sizzle roos for free for 4h kids that might want them to show.

In my opinion and experience it will probably be hard to sell him sometimes they are hard to even give away. If you were to sell him i would recommend 3 to 5 dollars as a asking price. The only roos I've learned that are easy to sell are big breed full grown as people want them for a pot and ready to breed rare breed roos. I am getting ready to offer a bunch of cream legbar and a couple sizzle roos for free for 4h kids that might want them to show.
I was thinking about 3 to 5 dollars as well. I would Love to give him to someone that would really want to take care of him but No one around here has any kind of poultry

I don 't know about the swap in your area. Here people love Silkies. Sometimes people look for a breeder male. At 5 ½ weeks you probably won't get much. I don't sell my youngster. I grow them out pick out my best and sell the rest. You can ask a price and see what you may get for offers. The other suggestion would be to place it on Craigslist. Maybe start at $10. you can always go down so maybe ask some people in your area.

Bent Creek Feed MONTHLY Swap meet JACKSONVILLE, FLA
The LAST Sunday Monthly
every month, 9am-1ish
10777 103rd St.
Jacksonville, FL. 32210
---> MAP
(904) 777-3838

Back
Top Bottom