FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Next time I might order local, if I can find a local place that has white egg layers. Every one of the breeds the one store had was a brown layer. (I know there's no nutritional difference, but I use the shells for art and I need white ones more than I need brown ones.)

Next time I might order local, if I can find a local place that has white egg layers. Every one of the breeds the one store had was a brown layer. (I know there's no nutritional difference, but I use the shells for art and I need white ones more than I need brown ones.)

If you have a Rural King anywhere near you, they have chicks year around. We have a monthly swap meet at the one near us. I have went in and asked one of the managers to order some chicks and they did for our swap. The have a list of the breeds they can order and there are quite a variety of breeds available.

We don't have one here; the nearest one is a couple hours' drive away. We have a Tractor Supply locally but they only have chicks seasonally. Might ask, when it's time to get new ones, whether they can order specific breeds, but I'm only allowed four hens where I live and they might not be able to order in such small numbers. I ordered these chicks from mypetchicken specifically so I could get two white layers, one brown layer, and one colored layer.

Central Florida Breeders Association Poultry Show, Inverness, Fl.
Saturday March 7th 2015
Citrus County Fairgrounds
3600 South Florida Ave.
Inverness, Florida
---> MAP
(U.S. Highway 41 South - 1.5 miles south of the intersection of U.S. highways 44 & 41)
Show Catalog ---> TBA
Entry Form --->TBA

I live in Sumter county and I plan on attending this year. Haven't been in several years and I raise only white Muscovys "the ultimate duck", but I still like to see all the poultry on display. THANKS FOR POSTING cmom.

Hey all! I know I could post this in the Predators section but I wanna hear from fellow FL people dealing with Bobcats. Anyone have issues with bobcats during the day? Is there a sure fire way to keep the birds safe other than keeping them penned all the time or a guardian dog? I've had 1 hen taken during late morning a couple months ago while we were gone for a couple hours. Now I only let the birds free range while I'm home & even then I'm looking out the window every half hour feeling like I'm taking a big risk. I've read Hotwire doesn't help because they'll just decide to jump the fence rather than climb.

I lost a Muscovy duck to a bobcat a couple of months ago during the day. I was outside and heard the commotion, but thought it was one of the drakes chasing a female but I was wrong. About an hour later I found a headless duck near where the commotion was and as I had never had a bobcat issue, didn't realize what killed my duck. I was thinking coon as it had reached through the chain link fence and torn the head off. I dug a hole under the chain link in that area, put the remains of the duck in a large live trap and waited till morning.......problem solved

Hi all!! It's been a while since I've been on here so I wanted to stop by and see how all the awesome Florida Peeps are doing?! Checking in from beautiful little Okeechobee Fl
1f423.png
1f425.png

Quote:
I used to raise Pheasants. A Bobcat did kill a lot of my Pheasants. I had netting over the top of their pen. The Bobcat dug under the fence. I didn't have any hot wire at the time. I put traps out and a couple days later I caught the Bobcat. I put the traps where it had dug under the fence a couple of days before. All of my pens are now covered with netting and I have hot wire around all of the pens too. I have neighbors that have seen Bobcats since, but so far I haven't. I have been lucky and have not lost any more chickens or Pheasants.

FINALLY! I got the first eggs in my chicken hobbyist LIFE on Saturday! They arrived (well, I found them anyway) eight months and 10 days after hatching my hens in an incubator. No sign of an egg yesterday, but here's hoping for another one today! #BlueCochinsLayLate! :weee

The top pic shows them compared to a Walmart large egg.

Last edited:
Advice/Insight? The hen That I suspect is the one who laid the eggs in the above pic, has radically changed behavior. She is compulsively walking back and forth back and forth in a two to three foot pace looking out of the run. (She's never been free ranged). SHE of all my birds has seemed the most rational, solid and intelligent of the 3 hens and one roo I have. She's "gone off the deep end" it seems. Poor thing! I suppose laying eggs IS DISTRESSING! Any thoughts? I've found only two eggs thus far and the two other hens apparently haven't laid yet.

Back
Top Bottom