FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I'm in the St. Augustine area. I haven't started my flock yet, but I need some recommendations for birds that can handle our hot, humid summertime conditions. I plan on raising dual purpose birds.

Also, is there anyone on the forum near St. Augustine?
about an hour away... I hear EEs and game birds do well (although neither are true dual purpose to my knowledge). Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the St. Augustine area. I haven't started my flock yet, but I need some recommendations for birds that can handle our hot, humid summertime conditions. I plan on raising dual purpose birds.

Most any breeds can handle our weather. A lot depends on their care such as providing plenty of water and shade especially in the summer. The birds will drink a lot during the hot summer months. I also have sprinklers in my pens. Some people put misters in theirs.
http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html
I cant wait!!! My babies are going to be in the mail tomorrow. I hope they do well in the shipping process. Will I be able to know the difference between any of the chick or will it be weeks before that os possible?
Doms, BO, BR, B Brahma, sultan, astrolorps, salmon favs. Oh also a speckled sussex.
Congratulations. I haven't had some of the breeds, but most I'm sure you will be able to tell.
Also, I want to say to both of you,
welcome-byc.gif

I am in East Palatka off 207A by the river so I am not too far from you.
There is a farm swap over in Barberville this weekend from 8:00am until about noon.
They usually have a lot of chickens and you might make a connection with someone closer to you.
I have Easter Eggers and they seem to be doing fine here.
Welcome to Back Yard chickens and good luck with putting a flock together.

I am in East Palatka off 207A by the river so I am not too far from you.
There is a farm swap over in Barberville this weekend from 8:00am until about noon.
They usually have a lot of chickens and you might make a connection with someone closer to you.
I have Easter Eggers and they seem to be doing fine here.
Welcome to Back Yard chickens and good luck with putting a flock together.
I am in between East Palatka and Barberville in southern Putnam ... closest post office to me is Crescent City.

Hey, MrBig, any plans to hit the county fair next month?

I am in Palm Valley. About 45 minutes north of you. I just picked up some Red Stars. From what i have read they do well in all of our seasons. This is my first batch too. Only 3 days in and i am already hooked! I lost 3 of 10 the first night and all of the rest seem good to go. There is a guy in Middleburg i found on Craigslist and he has a bunch of them.

Hi,
     I live in Citrus co. and was wondering if anyone near by might have a few brown leghorn hatching eggs I could get? I have some eggs being shipped this week and still have room in the incubator. My leghorn hens are past there prime. this would be the perfect time to restock.If so PM me. Thanks

We are in Dunellon, and I have two brown leghorn hens that I'd be willing to part with. They are just less than a year old and laying well. Let me know if you'd be interested in these two girls. I just need to make some room for more colored egg layers. :)

I am sitting here in sunny north central Florida gripping my coffee cup to keep my fingers warm, Burrrr would somebody turn up the heat!!
I hear ya! I think it wouldn't be quite as bad if the wind would just settle down. Been out several times already this morning, including to refill waterers. It could be worse though - my son is up in northern KY and bored with his snow days already, while most of the rest of my family is freezing their tookusses off in NE Indiana.

Back
Top Bottom