Paula321

Songster
Oct 28, 2019
Lake Wales, Florida (Central Florida)
I want a coop much like the Carolina coop designs. The coop will be 12x5 and the run will be 12x23. Here is the inspiration coop.
FC2231F8-C164-4AEB-BFDF-78BBBC0CE389.png

I am in central Florida on a lake. I rarely freezes here at my property due to the lake. My real risk is heat. I have one area of my yard that has some dense live oaks for shade. I have 8 chicks and understand about chicken math.

My brother tore down a carport and gave me the metal for a roof as well as some left over dock material.

FD8996E9-AF6E-402F-800E-185F61C164E8.jpeg

A5AC5369-E919-48AE-8D64-DBE73A1BC74E.jpeg

My neighbor Harley gave me a list of items to buy (he is building the coop for me). He built a huge shed so I know he can build this coop. I purchased these items from the nearby hardware store.
5E790231-A172-40FD-81F7-B7001B1FD6D9.jpeg

9E1D94F0-23CA-45C3-9126-9DB9BF999762.jpeg

The 1/4 inch hardware mesh I am using will be inside the pressure treated 4x4s and 6x6s. To cover the overlapping mesh, which will be stapled to the inside, I will use non pressure treated pine. I didn’t really make a design other than copying what we see on the Carolina coop but tweaking it to fit my materials.
I am putting this where a swing set is and using that for extra stability. This is the medal swing set frame. It is now imbedded into the oak tree.

DE3D6EF2-C4E6-4788-9DA1-C1CB4C0F049A.jpeg

This is the frame for the run and coop so far.
EBB68865-9F94-4044-BD6F-B2F10BF9A76A.jpeg

The questions I have pertain to the coop. I would love suggestions too so pick it apart if you see a problem.

i want to use a heavy duty French door as a window on the back. It will not open as we have driving rains. Then, I want to have doors that open for cleaning. Here is a pic of my thoughts.
73D2FDFD-F85F-4BC9-B435-1D319C65A8AB.jpeg

I was thinking if having the side of the coop that opens to the run have large openings they can perch on to go in and out. That would help keep it cooler and be more ventilation. Or should I put a door between the coop and run as a window.

I bought 4- 12x18 gable vents and 2- 22 inch octagonal gable vents.

I have four French doors. Do you recommend I put a window (French door on its side) between the coop and run? Do they like to see into the run or should I have the coop darker?
D5B688BD-7475-4C7A-88F6-A84F5F3A516F.jpeg

5797DD87-0045-454F-976D-603D2390E155.jpeg

I will skirt the whole coop with 1/2 inch hardware mesh 1 foot down and 2 feet wide. My lake has hawks, and eagles. We also have bears, coyotes, and raccoons.

Here are the current living conditions. It works because they are babies. I take the chicks out now and walk them around the yard a couple of hours per day.
71A56AF1-A903-4749-B833-5FC2B35B28A7.jpeg

C3CD892A-7684-410C-A4BE-E8322069B9AC.jpeg

They are living in my pool bath in this bin since it is in the 60s at night currently. They spend their days in this movable yard run.

Attachments

• F757D3BB-E6C1-43A2-9C99-01A74647ACBF.jpeg
    F757D3BB-E6C1-43A2-9C99-01A74647ACBF.jpeg
    756.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 729795B1-003C-4795-A5C2-844D77153814.jpeg
    729795B1-003C-4795-A5C2-844D77153814.jpeg
    536.3 KB · Views: 18
Very nice! You are off to a great start.
However, I think you are going to need A LOT more ventilation! I would make all windows top hinged so they can be left open as often as possible. If you get a driving rain that gets under them, lower or close them.
I think I saw ridge vent supplies on your materials list. Leave the spaces between the rafters open for soffit ventilation that will work with your ridge and gable vents.
Definitely have a large window that can be left open most of the year under the run roof.

Very nice! You are off to a great start.
However, I think you are going to need A LOT more ventilation! I would make all windows top hinged so they can be left open as often as possible. If you get a driving rain that gets under them, lower or close them.
I think I saw ridge vent supplies on your materials list. Leave the spaces between the rafters open for soffit ventilation that will work with your ridge and gable vents.
Definitely have a large window that can be left open most of the year under the run roof.
Should I leave most of the space between the coop and run open? I’m not sure if they like to be cooped up or can I just leave it all open? Rain should not be a problem there so I could leave an opening of about 6 feet by 6 feet.

They don't need to be cooped up if the run is completely predator proof, which yours will be, and you are not in a cold climate, which you aren't. You just want to be able to install a wind block if they need it. Maybe have it framed out for a clear panel you could install when needed.

Super. I wasn’t sure if they need to feel closed up. Nice to hear they don’t. I can install something for a wind break and plant hedges on the side closest to the lake to break the wind. It is rarely cold. It can get windy here but the trees and plants going in will block it somewhat and it sill cool them.

I was thinking if having the side of the coop that opens to the run have large openings they can perch on to go in and out. That would help keep it cooler and be more ventilation. Or should I put a door between the coop and run as a window.

I would make the wall between the coop and run all open, or all mesh... so lots of ventilation.

I have four French doors. Do you recommend I put a window (French door on its side) between the coop and run? Do they like to see into the run or should I have the coop darker?

One or more of those could be used on an outside coop wall, with the only caution being would such a big window heat up the coop too much.

They could be used on run walls to block wind. I have a window in one of my runs as a wind block.

I would make the wall between the coop and run all open, or all mesh... so lots of ventilation.
Wow. I love this idea. I’ll put those in as a wind break at the end. Do chickens hate all wind or only cold wind?

One or more of those could be used on an outside coop wall, with the only caution being would such a big window heat up the coop too much.

They could be used on run walls to block wind. I have a window in one of my runs as a wind block.

View attachment 1970621 View attachment 1970622 View attachment 1970623 I built the same coop design. Only things is that I wish I went bigger. I found all these great people here too late and didn’t understand chicken math lol. I also would build a walk in next time.

Do you recommend I make the actual coop a walk in? I thought they like it off the ground. I do worry about wine getting under the coop and trying to lift it off the ground. I’m taking steps to deal w that but would you recommend a coop I can actually walk into instead??

Back
Top Bottom