Well, I came home to a disappointing situation.
Of the five littles, two have passed. The brooder box was way too cold and only the tough ones survived. (The three yellow fuzz balls)
The other two (BR, And EE ) were sadly gone. Yes I am very sad for several reasons. The deaths of the chicks just adds to my anxiety and depression.
:hugs :hugs
Oh so sorry. Are you able to warm up the three yellow ones?

Good early morning

Two for Tuesday

Two old ladies (Red and Penelope)
42818D36-8144-4443-9F1F-E0860BB7AD94.jpeg

Two working on the stalls
2A9462AE-A57C-4E42-AC7C-35A305F72198.jpeg

Two inspecting the stall bedding
4C06407F-F5F4-4DDF-B9B6-389A3C5A7874.jpeg

Well, I came home to a disappointing situation.
Of the five littles, two have passed. The brooder box was way too cold and only the tough ones survived. (The three yellow fuzz balls)
The other two (BR, And EE ) were sadly gone. Yes I am very sad for several reasons. The deaths of the chicks just adds to my anxiety and depression.
Awwww I am saddened to hear this. They are so fragile at that age, anything can happen to them.

Are you using a heat lamp or a brooder plate? I use the brooder plate which I have found is really handy, nice dark area for them to hide out in, and handy place to sleep on top of. Oh and launch themselves off of when learning how to fly 😊

Well I am glad you still have the 3 of them and can’t wait to see some photos of them 💕

When I set up the broody crate, I use a small dog crate, as in the article. I take out the plastic tray and bungee cord it over the top on the outside of the crate. This keeps the other birds from pooping into the crate if they sit up there.

I set up my crate inside the coop. I know Widget is going to be there for a couple days/nights, at least, and I don't want her left out in the run. I put the crate up on some blocks. I have a rubber shoe mat underneath to catch the broody poop.

Hose everything off when done, fold it up and store it away for the next time.

When I set up the broody crate, I use a small dog crate, as in the article. I take out the plastic tray and bungee cord it over the top on the outside of the crate. This keeps the other birds from pooping into the crate if they sit up there.

I set up my crate inside the coop. I know Widget is going to be there for a couple days/nights, at least, and I don't want her left out in the run. I put the crate up on some blocks. I have a rubber shoe mat underneath to catch the broody poop.

Hose everything off when done, fold it up and store it away for the next time.
I have the tray on top. Good idea to bungee cord it.
I had to turn the crate upside down because the gaps in the wire under the tray were massive.
I had to contend with the steep slope inside my Chicken Palace. There is a relatively flat area but it is right outside the nest boxes so I thought it was better to have her around the corner where the boxes are out of sight. It is stable enough but not ideal.
I am not collecting the poop because everything everywhere is deep litter or deep bedding. I can peer under the crate to see what she produces.
I think I will remove the cardboard Chewy box in the window (there to prevent Babs roosting on the rail for the heater) so she gets even more daylight today.
IMG_6067.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom