How about setting up a temporary box just outside of the main area. Then those who don’t want to face crazy broody bats can lay their eggs in comfort.
Of course as I say that I remember that I have two areas of nest boxes and half the time half of them will lay eggs up on the straw stack!

How about setting up a temporary box just outside of the main area. Then those who done want to face crazy broody bats can lay their eggs in comfort.
Yeah. I tried.
In addition to the one the dragons are in, there are 8 other nest boxes. Pooh has examined them all!
Bernie and Babs seem content with one of the other boxes.
Calypso goes in with the dragons to donate her egg.
:idunno

Take you time, no pressure. It is your flock and only you can decide if he will work out. If he is not the right rooster, or this is the right time that is perfectly fine. That boy has a picky owner, if you pass they will ensure he goes to a good home. The right rooster is out there for you. Waiting for the right time to come into your flock, you just have to find each other.
:goodpost: That's a really good answer 👏 👍

I guess it’s just allergies- making me stuffed up and sore throat.

Those two little Roos were the first chooks I got. I thought the res one was a hen - hence Roxanne.

The were killed by a fox one evening when I didn’t really know about predators.

This is why my gang doesn’t free range - they are only allowed to roam when I am around.
You do an excellent job of keeping them happy and safe Kelly 😊 👏

I want everyone's dinner
1000002164.jpg

Amori try to find a safe place from princess
1000002178.jpg

I am not a good enabler ... I think you should wait a bit before deciding to take in a rooster. You have too much to process now, and I believe what you wish is to go back to how things were with Jaffar, but that is just not possible :hugs :hugs :hugs
Take it one day at a time and don't feel bad for enjoying the small ones. Chickens seem to come with grief and joy all mixed up.

Sorry if I missed an update, how has Pip been ?

I haven't shared pictures for a very long time but Théo the little brat is so cute when he drinks that here is a serie for Thirsty Thursday.
View attachment 3826534View attachment 3826535View attachment 3826536

I have a bumblefoot tool question, maybe some of you can help before I try the emergency forum. My hen Lilly had bumblefoot surgery at the vet before Christmas. It seemed to be healed, so we stopped tending it two weeks ago. Unfortunately it's swelling again. I would like to avoid taking her back to the vet because they do the procedure under general anesthesia and I think twice is too much in a few months. The abscess is located on top of the foot : I am wondering what would be the right tool to cut the abscess open from above. I have always used tweezers to remove scabs underneath, but she doesn't have a scab at all so we really need to open above. Have some of you used scalpels for bumblefoot, and if so what size ?
I read on this page that it's possible to use a biopsy punch and was wondering if this would be easier. I'm not very good at that kind of stuff 😬.
Lilly. Yes she has drunk the old bat potion.
View attachment 3826588
I think I have some beautiful roosters, but that guy gives me a humongous case of chicken envy!
I treat bumblefoot by soaking, then apply Prid drawing salve each day. When it's good and soft I just squeeze the core out and apply the antibiotic salve for 3 to 5 days. No cutting necessary.

Crap, I have a missing hen. Momma hen no less. She did not roost in the tree last night. This morning, I have yet to spot her. What I do have outback is a horrible pile of broody hen poop. If she is not around when I get back home or roost in the tree tonight tomorrow I will scour everywhere I can think of to find her.
Check the hillside again....

Back
Top Bottom