flyin out brooder

Please don't clip their wings. Just put something over the brooder--extra window screens, plywood, bird netting or a chickenwire screen. Heat lamps shouldn't be less than 18 inches from the floor (or pine shavings,) but put a thermometer down under and adjust it to what you want. The chicks will just huddle up under the light if they are cold.

i wont b clipping wings i put chicken wire over the whole top of pen and dont plan on freeranging now my wife is ok with one getting out now and then its usually just one at a time when they fly out they dont even poop on floor lol they get out a lil while then go back in i have them in my utility room which has a seperate door do they cant go any further

regarding a thermetor in hen house with heat lamp what is the best location to put thermometor so i can keep my chicks warm on cold nites its a 250 watt heat lamp

I put mine right under where the heat lamp shines. You already know the temp outside. The thermometer is placed under the light. IMO. If its reading over 100 then back it up a bit secure it so you don't burn down the coop. Chicks will move toward the warmth. Make sure the chicks have a cool area to get to in case they get to hot.

my coop is 8'x8' so if i put lamp in a corner they could huddle there if needed then have rest of coop for cool area its but 8 chicks and 2 ducklings which i will have to monitor so they dont fight for lamp but i do have 2 lamps cuz im brooding them in 2 seperate brooders now may put 2 lamps in seperate corners

This is my 4 week old cuckoo maran. Her name is burrito. I found her like this 3 times today. She wants out. The weather outdoors during the day has b been 65 to 75, but chilly nights were not done with coop yet. Do you think she is ready to be outside?

I have an infared thermometer from Home Depot that was around ten dollars that I'm going to be using it seems like it would be easier to use because it takes .3 seconds to read the temp I've never had a problem with range even when I'm just playing with it so I could check the temp under the lamp and the rest of the coop in a matter of seconds

Back
Top Bottom