Fogging Peafowl Barn? Need some pointers...

blondie34

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Grand Rapids, OH
Hi all! I have a 12'x12' coop with a 40'x50'x run/flight pen attached to it that houses 8 peafowl and a handful of chickens.. I had an older hen get ill and unexpectedly pass away recently so I want to do a deep clean and disinfect with a fogger to make sure I kill any bacteria/viruses that may or may not be present to protect the rest of the flock.

I have both Oxine and Virkon S tabs- I understand you can use both in a fogger and I'm thinking about using the Virkon S as I understand it covers a wider variety of bacteria/viruses ..

Has anyone ever fogged with Virkon S? I'm having a hard time finding the rate of dilution for fogging..

Also, when fogging, do I need to be careful about breathing in any of the product? I plan on wearing a respirator and was hoping that'll be enough..

Are you sure you really want to do this? VirkonS has a warning about getting on skin and or clothing to remove clothing immediately and wash skin for fifteen minutes AND then call a physician for further treatment. If it was me that had an old hen die I would either put it off to "old chickens die" or try to find out through the symptoms of the carcass or a necropsy as to why she might have died. I dislike telling others how they should raise their animals or birds but you may want to give this some more thought. FC

Are you sure you really want to do this? VirkonS has a warning about getting on skin and or clothing to remove clothing immediately and wash skin for fifteen minutes AND then call a physician for further treatment. If it was me that had an old hen die I would either put it off to "old chickens die" or try to find out through the symptoms of the carcass or a necropsy as to why she might have died. I dislike telling others how they should raise their animals or birds but you may want to give this some more thought. FC

X 2!
This sounds very dangerous for you and your birds!
old.gif

Last edited:
Right, I think that is for if it's over a certain concentration..

I might just stick with the Oxine as I've used that before and it's a little less scary stuff.. what worries me is that the older hen that died seemed to be showing symptoms of Mareks, although I did not have a necropsy performed so it's too late to tell now. VirkonS is a virucal that is know to kill off Mareks in the coop so I wanted to go with whatever would be the most comprehensive

Welp, I went for it and fogged with both Oxine and the Virkon S yesterday - I kicked the birds out into the run and closed them out of the coop for the day and did a deep clean followed with the fogging.

I wore a respirator to be safe - and so far I haven't keeled over and died, grown any extra body parts, or turned into a lizard
yesss.gif

The birds are still in the run today, just to be safe. I will let them back into the coop tonight when I get home from work. It actually worked out pretty well since I wormed them yesterday too.

Welp, I went for it and fogged with both Oxine and the Virkon S yesterday - I kicked the birds out into the run and closed them out of the coop for the day and did a deep clean followed with the fogging.

I wore a respirator to be safe - and so far I haven't keeled over and died, grown any extra body parts, or turned into a lizard
yesss.gif

The birds are still in the run today, just to be safe. I will let them back into the coop tonight when I get home from work. It actually worked out pretty well since I wormed them yesterday too.

Wow. Glad you wore the respirator!

Have you thought about getting your remaining birds tested for Marek's? If the dead bird had it and exposed the others, it could be in the birds already and get passed on. So testing might set some fears to rest for you.

Wow. Glad you wore the respirator!

Have you thought about getting your remaining birds tested for Marek's? If the dead bird had it and exposed the others, it could be in the birds already and get passed on. So testing might set some fears to rest for you.
The thought has definitely crossed my mind... everyone else is fat and happy though, so signs of any illness.. I'm not even sure where to begin to find somewhere that would test for Mareks.. is that some a normal vet would offer?

Back
Top Bottom