Food advice

i'm on the opposite side of @R2elk on this, though broadly in agreement. Yes, there are small, statistically questionable, studies showing minor, relatively mild benefits over short time frames from inclusion of small amounts of certain green growing things (garlic, oregano, pumpkin seed most commonly) - but whether your own source of those ingredients are more or less concentrated in the bioactive chemicals responsible for those results isn't something you can possibly know, and the benefits are so small as to be useful (at best) as a prophylactic.

Once you have reached the infestation stage, its time to rely on science rather than pretending at witchcraft. At least the local hedge witch generally had a consistent preparation for their herbs, and knew enough to adjust inclusion rates from experience based on seasonal variations (or they suffered for it).

and yes, my birds can eat my oregano if the want - my scallions too - though they rarely do. I just don't count on it providing any benefit, and I don't pretend it is a suitable medicinal treatment for anything.

Permethrin. Known concentration, known method of action, well studied effect, replicated in innumerable studies.

But if you want to go all natural? Mow down a field of crysanthemums, dry, grind, and rub your birds down with the powder. Repeat as needed. I'm going to get the 32 oz concentrate from the farm store, and mix it up as needed to the desired concentration.

Back
Top Bottom