Food for button quail babies

Team01

Chirping
Mar 8, 2023
I just had my button quail hatch out. I have gamebird starter. What is the best food for them. It's seems that the starter is kinda big for them . What should I do.

Put it in a plastic bag and pound on it. This will make the pieces small enough for them to eat.

Gamebird starter has the proper nutrition for them.
I realize this post was made in October but I have a question I hope someone can answer. I hatched 5 button quail in an incubator . They hatch but will only drink water . I ground the crumbles to almost powder texture but they won't eat . Should I worry or will they start to eat soon?

I realize this post was made in October but I have a question I hope someone can answer. I hatched 5 button quail in an incubator . They hatch but will only drink water . I ground the crumbles to almost powder texture but they won't eat . Should I worry or will they start to eat soon?
If it's been less than 24 hours, don't worry. They're still absorbing their yolk. You can tap on the food with a toothpick or skewer, and the will start pecking at it too. Once one learns to eat, the others will follow.

If it's been less than 24 hours, don't worry. They're still absorbing their yolk. You can tap on the food with a toothpick or skewer, and the will start pecking at it too. Once one learns to eat, the others will follow.

When do you start offering grit?
If they're on a milled game bird feed they don't need grit. If you're giving them 10% or less in treats, they probably won't need grit either. If you feel the need to give them grit, you probably don't want to start before 5-6 weeks in age.

You do want to make sure that they have enough calcium starting at 6-8 weeks, though. Button hens are very prone to die if they aren't getting enough calcium.

Back
Top Bottom