Food that stimulates regrowing feathers

Maiahr

Crowing
Jul 21, 2019
Bulgaria, a country in Eastern Europe
My Coop
My Coop
I have several hens almost stripped naked by the roosters. I have separated them from the roosters and I would like to feed them with food that stimulates feathers regrowth. I know "high in protein" is the standard response and I am feeding them with a feed which has 17% protein, but can I add anything else to their diet? We do NOT have those ready mixes available in the USA for faster feather growth, and I don't know what is in them. Any link or suggestions would be appreciated. Their backs are naked from mating, no aggression, no wounds..

What is your hen/rooster ratio?

Have you trimmed the roosters spurs?

How are you going to prevent this happening again when you reintegrate them?

Being "almost stripped naked" means your flock arrangements need a major overhaul.

What is your hen/rooster ratio?

Have you trimmed the roosters spurs?

How are you going to prevent this happening again when you reintegrate them?

Being "almost stripped naked" means your flock arrangements need a major overhaul.
Thank you! I already give them scrambled eggs, I will have to find soya in the supermarket. As for canned tuna - most brands have salt in the cans, so I am not sure too much salt is good for chicken. What about rice or powdered milk?
As for flock arrangements - that has been dealt with. All heavy/large body roosters were removed and I only have one light and gentle rooster for 30 hens. Once the feathers of these pullets regrow, they will be reintegrated in a calmer environment... Well until the newly hatched chicks mature 🙂

that is great news.

Anything with a high protein content in it will help. Yes not high salted tuna you are right. Wet cat food from a tin will do nicely as a supplement to their usual feed, not to replace it. Not rice, that is just carbohydrate.

Thank you! I already give them scrambled eggs, I will have to find soya in the supermarket. As for canned tuna - most brands have salt in the cans, so I am not sure too much salt is good for chicken. What about rice or powdered milk?
As for flock arrangements - that has been dealt with. All heavy/large body roosters were removed and I only have one light and gentle rooster for 30 hens. Once the feathers of these pullets regrow, they will be reintegrated in a calmer environment... Well until the newly hatched chicks mature 🙂
They have a feather fixer feed. It's 20% protein. A friend of mine keeps it on hand for molting season. It works well for her. Mine haven't had their first molt yet. So I can't tell you anything more than this. Best of luck, and get rid of some roos maybe. Sounds like it's too few hens to rooster. Not good for the girls, on many levels. Good luck.

They have a feather fixer feed. It's 20% protein. A friend of mine keeps it on hand for molting season. It works well for her. Mine haven't had their first molt yet. So I can't tell you anything more than this. Best of luck, and get rid of some roos maybe. Sounds like it's too few hens to rooster. Not good for the girls, on many levels. Good luck.
The OP is in Bulgaria. There might not be the same feeds available there.

Back
Top Bottom