Foot Injury for Duck

juniverse

Songster
10 Years
Nov 3, 2013
I got a case I can't really figure out... Was hoping you kind folks can let me know what this is....

My duck is 10 years old and has arthritis in his legs so sometimes he does have leg issues to where he is clumsy and stumbles. Well I started to notice that his left toe on his left foot was pointing inwards and it was starting to go under his middle toe when he was standing. Noticed redness on the first toe joint.

Resized_20240405_173720_1712363871636.jpg

Took him to the vet 8 days ago and they took X-Rays with no fractures or broken bones. The vet said its likely an injured ligament and he wrapped the foot up and asked to keep it on for 7 days. I opened the bandage and there is a scab where that redness was. It's also swollen. I have been giving him Meloxicam since I found this issue and Clavacillian as directed by the vet.
Resized_20240417_2320310_1713422044157.jpg

Any theories on what this is?? I am going to see the vet again next Tuesday.
Resized_20240418_185157_1713491546803.jpg

Just like how when humans have arthritis the finger will start to bend a certain way I wonder if this is what is going on with the toe-curling under the other one. The other thing looks like possibly a bumble it doesn't have to be under the foot it is just an infection and can appear other places like the upper part of the foot or legs. If there was an injury to that area. Have you done any soaking in warm Epsom salt water. Since your going back to the vet I'd just soak for now and question the vet on if this could be bumble.

Thanks Miss Lydia! I will bring it up for sure. I didn't know bumble could appear on the side of the foot too. The scab came off on it's own so it's just red now. Is it still okay to soak the foot in epsom salt even if the scab peeled off? And can I put plain Neosporin on it or some other suggested oinment?

Back
Top Bottom