"Fort Coop" Flat Roof Question

SCOdoubleT

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Hi,
I am new to BYC, but have been browsing around for quite a while.

Well, our first ever chicks will be arriving soon and construction of our 8x8 coop is finally underway!
My design will have an 8x8 coop with a "tree fort" above the coop.
(e have two young boys and they are doubly excited about the chickens & the tree fort.)

So, this means the coop roof itself will be flat, because it will be the fort floor, but the fort roof above will be sloped and it will be very weather resistant, if not weather-proof.
The Coop & fort walls will continue all the way up and will be T-111.

After all that long-winded typing, my question is....

Do you think a plywood coop roof/fort floor will be fine, or should I add some roofing underlayment, and maybe even another layer of plywood to make a sandwich?
Is that over-kill? I do plan to seal the floor and T-111.

The "Fort Coop" is fairly well protected by the elements, as it is partially under some pine trees.

Thanks for all the advice and ideas!

It's amazing the places rain can find its way into. Always put proper roofing on buildings.
The easiest thing I've found for all flat roofs but especially chicken coops is EPDM rubber. It's lightweight, easy to apply and lasts 40+ years.

I'd go ahead and save yourself some future headaches and at coat the "floor" of the tree fort with plenty of that sealer to make it water proof

Last edited:
Thanks!

I will definitely water-proof the fort floor.
I can only imagine the boys spilling a drink in the fort and me going in to the coop the next day, wondering...how is orange juice dripping from the ceiling!? LOL

Back
Top Bottom