In process coop build, would love metal roofing advice.

Some condensation will happen but it's minor unless it drips right into a feed bucket. That's the only problem I can think of.

Mine is open-air hardware cloth on all sides so the rain blows inside. Working on placing tarps strategically on two sides. They'll still have 80% free-air ventilation and a chance at breeze. I also free-range them nearly every afternoon so they can run to the woods for coolness.

A good point there -- with adequate ventilation in certain climates a little condensation is no problem.

I have a 3-sided shelter on the roosting end of my Open Air coop but I add a tarp to part of the 4th wall for hurricanes and winter. Some weather blowing in is not a problem as long as the roost area is dry.

I live in Waxhaw, NC which gets stupid humid in the summer with mild winters. I am building my big coop currently while my little girls are in a temporary structure.

My coop is mobile because of setback restrictions which would have required the coop to be about 2 feet from my pool. LOL.

I bought a used trailer that has a 4' x 8' base. I put down wood to frame the floor, added wire mesh and put a plywood base on top. The lean to is 7' tall on the people door side and 5' tall on the chicken door side. I added two wall jut outs on the 4' sides over the trailer tires. One side has a long roosting bar with two slide out poop trays for cleaning. The other side has an isolation area, 2 nesting boxes and cabinet storage above.

I added two wall vents on opposite ends over the doors. I also will have roof openings covered by wire mesh and I am in process of creating a dutch door where the top piece can be solid in the winter and wire mesh in the summer for added ventilation.

My question is about metal roofing which I have never done before. I put up 2 x 4s and topped it with plywood. But now, I'm rethinking the plywood because I need additional boards every two feet to screw to the metal. I thought the plywood would make it less noisy for the birds, but I'm worried about trapping moisture and creating mold areas. So, I am wondering if I should just attach the 2' pieces inside the coop under the plywood to screw the metal roofing into OR if I should remove the plywood and put the 2' pieces on top of the current boards. I had planned to do underlayment and then attach the metal.

I can reuse the plywood, I still have my poop boards to make so I'm not concerned with removing the plywood if people think that is the smartest call.

Would love suggestions. I've attached a few pictures from my work in progress.

Thanks!
I built mine about 2008 and just attached the metal roof to the rafters. I haven't had any problems at all. Also, put your screws in the peaks of the roof, not the valleys. In the peaks, any rain, snow or ice will run off as it melts, if you put the screws in the valleys, you may get leaks when the moisture sets there to melt.

Anyone in North Carolina have a metal roof? Wondering about condensation and best efforts to avoid it. Thanks!
I also live near the coast and deal with the humidity. Our coop has a metal roof just like you purchased, we did not use plywood, we use 3 windows plus 4 vents covered with hardware cloth. No condensation issues at all, and the coop stays comfortable most any day. If the weather is super hot, we have a small window fan to pull in the cooler air at night. We also contemplated using foam insulation, but as someone already mentioned, if it's shiny they will go after it!

I've not had any issues so far and I feel that is due to the amount of air flow we keep open all year round, but do what you think is best. As for noise, our coop and run have cameras 24 hrs a day and even with the big thunderstorms, it doesn't seem to bother the girls at all, so don't worry about the noise in my opinion. Hope this will help.

I built mine about 2008 and just attached the metal roof to the rafters. I haven't had any problems at all. Also, put your screws in the peaks of the roof, not the valleys. In the peaks, any rain, snow or ice will run off as it melts, if you put the screws in the valleys, you may get leaks when the moisture sets there to melt.
I've already installed in the valleys, but that is a great point for future roof ventures. Thanks!

I also live near the coast and deal with the humidity. Our coop has a metal roof just like you purchased, we did not use plywood, we use 3 windows plus 4 vents covered with hardware cloth. No condensation issues at all, and the coop stays comfortable most any day. If the weather is super hot, we have a small window fan to pull in the cooler air at night. We also contemplated using foam insulation, but as someone already mentioned, if it's shiny they will go after it!

I've not had any issues so far and I feel that is due to the amount of air flow we keep open all year round, but do what you think is best. As for noise, our coop and run have cameras 24 hrs a day and even with the big thunderstorms, it doesn't seem to bother the girls at all, so don't worry about the noise in my opinion. Hope this will help.
I'm actually in process of researching a camera setup as the girls are now in the coop. I sneak up on the coop at night to see how they are doing and I've woke them up at least once not being so sneaky. I have a dewalt battery fan out there at nights currently to help with airflow, I'll also be adding a plug in fan soon. They've weathered a couple small rains with ease, so my fears are diminishing.

I'm in central NC. I have a metal roof on my coop that I built. Mine's a hack job compared to yours!

Some condensation will happen but it's minor unless it drips right into a feed bucket. That's the only problem I can think of.

Mine is open-air hardware cloth on all sides so the rain blows inside. Working on placing tarps strategically on two sides. They'll still have 80% free-air ventilation and a chance at breeze. I also free-range them nearly every afternoon so they can run to the woods for coolness.
Thanks. I like the idea of free range but I'm scared of predators. I have seen either a fox or raccoon running away from my compost pile one morning. It was far away so I'm not sure what it was. I am outside a good bit so I am thinking of keeping them in a dedicated run and free ranging when I can watch. However, that might be worse to actually see one of my babies snatched and not be able to do anything about it. And I worry about giving them the option only occasionally might make them want to go out all the time. Right now I have hardwire mesh in a big circle for the run while I was building the coop. Now that the coop is 95% done and they are in it, I am trying to plan the run so it is movable and predator proof.

I'll also be adding a plug in fan soon.

Be sure to get one that's rated for barn use and has a sealed motor. Both the dust from the bedding and the feather dander are flammable so a fan becomes a fire hazard.

If you have to use a normal house fan, protect it very well from all possible threat of moisture and install it this way:

Window Fan Mount

In the process of building my coop on a trailer in southeast Florida and it's been hot with extreme humidity. I am using a metal roof without using plywood. As others have stated attach to rafters with screws in the peaks not the valleys, along with ventilation and shade. Planning to screw in the hills not the valley. Purchased supporting material to go between the hill and the rafter and roofing caulk to put a dab on before and after screwed. Will continue posting pictures in my tread "Started on my coop today that is going to be on a 6' x 10' trailer" as I progress on my project.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. This is the type of roofing I bought. https://www.bestbuymetalroofing.com/through-fastened-panels/tuff-rib/
N o real need to worry about moisture being trapped. That really only happens in large buildings where there is no airflow or where the air has to flow a large distance.

However it is better have and not need it than need it and not have it. You can paint it or use any of the hundred underlayments available. Like tar paper. But those come in large rolls. So in your case It is better to paint it.

Be sure to get one that's rated for barn use and has a sealed motor. Both the dust from the bedding and the feather dander are flammable so a fan becomes a fire hazard.

If you have to use a normal house fan, protect it very well from all possible threat of moisture and install it this way:

Window Fan Mount

Large PC fans work great.

Back
Top Bottom