Found a baby pigeon - HELP!

This is how I feed mine:
0.jpg

Mine is older than this one now, he has all his big feathers, other than some on his chest head and under his wings where he is still bald. He's about 20 days old I would say now.

Now he wont eat at all, isn't begging and is sat hunched in a corner, not acting like himself at all. I've managed to get him to have another drink but he turns away any food and spits it out if i put it in his mouth. His crop feels almost empty. - this is the little one. Big one seems ok at the moment.

Now he wont eat at all, isn't begging and is sat hunched in a corner, not acting like himself at all. I've managed to get him to have another drink but he turns away any food and spits it out if i put it in his mouth. His crop feels almost empty. - this is the little one. Big one seems ok at the moment.
Can you take it to a vet?

-Kathy

Not at the moment, it's 11.30 at night here, I'm working 7.30-4 tomorrow, all I can do I see what he's like in the morning and hope he perks up through the night. I don't understand what happened! He was so so greedy and now he turns away everything!

Why are you giving it so much water to drink?

I never give my hand raised squabs any water!

They just need the liquid feed.

He is begging so much because he is hungry.

Rather than keep giving it water... feed it the liquid food.

Use chicken chick starter mixed with warm water. If you think its got crop problems mix in some stewed apple to the feed or even Apple Cider vinegar.

If he will take water he will take the liquid feed just the same.

Keep him warm to help digestion and healing.

Hi,

He's having liquid food, i just thought he needed water as well.

His crop had emptied this morning and then he eat normally. He doesnt seem to be begging as much now?

Thants good news.

You can stop giving him water. They only need the wet food... get all the water they need from that.

It won't hurt to have a pot or fresh water in the cage and as he grows he will learn to drink for himself (you can gently dip his beak in the water or wiggle your finger in the water to get his interest in it. They drink a lot of water when they are eating the dry seeds when they get weaned.

If you other one is eating and drinking on his own now you could pop the little one in with him at feeding time.. and he will learn how to eat by himself from the older one more quickly than we humans can teach them.

Ok, great, thank you, I'm new to all of this and panic all the time about every little thing with them! I think the little one might be starting to ween now and perhaps thats why he's being fussy with food? Ive got them both in together at the moment and they were both fed and are settled before I left for work. Hopefully we're over all the hiccups!

Back
Top Bottom