Found a random rooster on the side of the road on my way to school with torn up feet and it was getting hot so I brought him home, what now?

Have you looked in farmed animal sanctuaries? He'd get great care, have chicken friends, and live out the rest of his life without fear.

I'm unsure of where in CA you are, but I can think of two rescues in Los Angeles:

Farm Sanctuary
https://www.farmsanctuary.org/the-sanctuaries/los-angeles-ca/

Best Friends Animal Society (Unsure if this branch handles poultry, though.)
https://la.bestfriends.org/

Either rescue would, at least, be able to help you with figuring out a place to send him.
Im about 2 hours from LA so I'll call/email each place and see if they can help :D

Last winter the roads were icy. A car carrying multiple men flipped on the ice, and landed on the roof. The men were helped out of the car, and were OK. Then the paramedics heard a noise coming from the trunk, when it was opened there was a rooster in the trunk. Gee, the men never mentioned the rooster.

Last winter the roads were icy. A car carrying multiple men flipped on the ice, and landed on the roof. The men were helped out of the car, and were OK. Then the paramedics heard a noise coming from the trunk, when it was opened there was a rooster in the trunk. Gee, the men never mentioned the rooster.
Probably because they were on their way to a chicken fight!

We do have a temporary place to keep him and food but we will not be keeping him. We do not have a flock anymore and it wouldn’t be right to keep just one. My sister and my dad aren’t exactly thrilled about having him because of how noisy he is(he crows around 3 times every 20-30 minute lol)
My mom is calling around to find someone who would be willing to take him and care for him. She knows some people from work who might be willing. We are debating what to do next about his spurs and I also noticed while we were cleaning his feet and treating his mites that at one point he broke one of his toes and it healed weirdly but it doesn’t seem to affect him. Overall he’s in pretty good shape thankfully.
I am just seeing this thread and haven't read it all through - did someone mention using the potato method of removing spurs? You can search for it on this site - you basically microwave a potato and put it on the spur and there's a technique to use it to loosen/remove the spur - it would be quicker/easier than taking pieces off bit by bit. Other folks had recommended using a Dremel tool if that's something your dad has. He sounds like he has a great temperament (though he crows too much!).

I am just seeing this thread and haven't read it all through - did someone mention using the potato method of removing spurs? You can search for it on this site - you basically microwave a potato and put it on the spur and there's a technique to use it to loosen/remove the spur - it would be quicker/easier than taking pieces off bit by bit. Other folks had recommended using a Dremel tool if that's something your dad has. He sounds like he has a great temperament (though he crows too much!).
I looked at that but I heard it has a risk of burning him and I don’t know how tolerant he would be for us to do it. He is really friendly and I Did find a place that might take him. I’ve called multiple organizations and everyone seems full except STAT sanctuary- and they want us to keep him for another week to make sure the mites are gone so it doesn’t affect their flock. We’re moving in about a week so I’m not sure we would be able to keep him that long so I plan to call them again and ask if they would be willing to reconsider and take him sooner.

I am so glad to read you for a potential place for him. That's great. And I imagine a relief to you.

Regarding the mites. I must have missed that. How are you treating them?

I am so glad to read you for a potential place for him. That's great. And I imagine a relief to you.

Regarding the mites. I must have missed that. How are you treating them?
I dropped him off at the sanctuary yesterday, and I hope he's getting along with their other roosters. When I was caring for him, I spread petroleum jelly all over his feet every night and he started shedding the scales he had built up. when we dropped him off he wasn't getting along too well with a turkey in the pen so they moved him to a different one. I plan to visit in a week or two and check up on him if I have time. We're currently moving to a new house, luckily it's only about a half-hour drive to the sanctuary. The woman in charge seems very nice and her animals look happy and healthy so I trust that he'll enjoy his new home and be well cared for :)

Back
Top Bottom