Found abandoned duckling. Its very afraid.

Although I normally would endorse adequate company, another duck would only be a good idea if Julzz would be willing to keep it after the release of the ring-necked duck and for that reason not only one but two ducklings were aquired.

Although it breaks my heart, I'm looking into a wildlife rehab facility. It's more than 4 hours from where I live... I'm seeing if arrangements can be made...

Well it's been awhile since I posted. I got "stuck" with the duckling as no rehab were close enough. Still caring for it. It's about 5 weeks old. It has not imprinted on me, it's still afraid of me (which I think is a good thing). From what I read, I think that soon, I would be able to release it.. but I wan't to give it all the chances it has for survival... as I cannot keep it forever. Anyone have any advice ?

Perhaps release it where there are others of its species around, perhaps in a few more weeks once his primaries start to come in. Perhaps you can find other ducks his age.

Do you have any updated pictures of him? I'm curious as to how he turned out.

Last edited:
Perhaps release it where there are others of its species around, perhaps in a few more weeks once his primaries start to come in. Perhaps you can find other ducks his age.

Do you have any updated pictures of him? I'm curious as to how he turned out.
Yeah, I was thinking about doing something like that. I'll wait until he/she is about 8 weeks old or until it can fly and then look for a pound where there are other ducks. Some ducks come here, but I live where theres a river and I do not see ducks here everyday...

I would keep the duck until its flight feathers have grown in so it can relocate easier and seek out a new habitat and flee from predators. Your duck lacks experience and the protection a group of siblings and other conspecifics would offer.

You could also try to contact local birders, I could imagine that those people have an idea where the species of your duck usually dwells so you can relase it right were it might meet cospecifics.

In the end, you have to put faith in the duck's natural instincts.

Back
Top Bottom