Found Fox Den,how to hunt? Guys chime in!

justplainbatty

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
emmet MI
The sum total of my gun experience is going to the pistol range with my Dad for several years between the ages of 11 and 15. Then in my twenties, I went out in the desert and shot gasoline bombs, cars, t.v.s ect, with various weapons my favorite being my .223. Obviously I can't use that in this area, while rural, is divided into 5 acre plots. I recently inherited a scoped .22 rifle, which I haven't even sited in or shot yet. We do have a motor cross track in the back where I could do that. My other problem, is where the den is located is in the tree line along the road. This presents me with two problems. One, I don't want to scare anyone driving by and two, all of my available (safe to neighbors and public) stake outs are upwind of the den. Also, when are the best times to sit around waiting for this fox? She came mid day for my birds the other day. I want to get her before she drops kits. It's the same den and same fox from last year. I found it with kits last year but my son and bf didn't want me to kill them. She moved the kits later that day. We had a GSD so it was no biggy until she died in the fall. I lost some birds but couldn't locate her new den bc it was off my property. Maybe a small kerosene fire in the den will be a deterrent for others but only after I kill the present resident. (I hate to put fuel into the ground so better den wrecking ideas welcome). Now, obviously I have walked around the den, and left flags at the entrance and exit. How many days before she feels safe to return?

Last edited:
I would hesitate to use a 22 caliber with close neighbors. A 22 can travel up to a mile. Perhaps a .177 caliber air rifle would be better suited for the task you have in mind?

Last edited:
I would hesitate to use a 22 caliber with close neighbors. A 22 can travel up to a mile. Perhaps a .177 caliber air rifle would be better suited for the task you have in mind?

Best to find out local laws and use traps if legal

Totally legal to discharge a fire arm around here.Legal to wear a side arm on property. I will double check though. Obviously common sense dictates what is safe. I suppose, I can use a live trap and then just shoot the thing in head with an air pistol, that I have. I guess I should have a trap anyway. Yes I have bleach. thanks for your replies.

Best to find out local laws and use traps if legal

oops! meant to quote you also, not the other, twice. Wrote about this issue bc I wasn't exactly comfortable with a rifle on this particular property. Best to not go off half cocked and angry so I'm glad I posted.
smile.png

Not sure if your familiar with a conabear or box trap but if u could find the den with 100 percent certainty you place it over the Maine hole and when the fox exits the the hole it has to pass through the trap setting it off.killing it by snapping neck instant death but will also kill any thing

Not sure if your familiar with a conabear or box trap but if u could find the den with 100 percent certainty you place it over the Maine hole and when the fox exits the the hole it has to pass through the trap setting it off.killing it by snapping neck instant death but will also kill any thing

Well, all the rabbit feet, intestines, clumps of fur and bird feathers and bits all around it, kind of gave it away. There's a clean exit hole about 4 feet from the main. I could look into the kind you said. I would rather be able to get exactly who I am after and at least with a live trap, I can release hapless victims. We have two feral cats who patrol the perimeter of the coop nicely for mice and voles. The chickens are not bothered by them so I don't want to kill them by accident.

Easy way is to trap....

1.5 or 1.75 leg hold will do fine I use #2's place one or two around the den and use a little fox urine as lure. They sell it at tractor supply. You should catch it the first night.

Best part about leg hold traps is you can release non target animals. I would say set a trap with a dirt hole by your coop but you are guaranteed to catch those cats and who knows what else.

Good luck

Easy way is to trap....

1.5 or 1.75 leg hold will do fine I use #2's place one or two around the den and use a little fox urine as lure. They sell it at tractor supply. You should catch it the first night.

Best part about leg hold traps is you can release non target animals. I would say set a trap with a dirt hole by your coop but you are guaranteed to catch those cats and who knows what else.

Good luck

TY I'll check into those. If I only set it by the den, it might work. I would think the cats are not daring to go near a fox den?

I am a trapper. Trust me trapping them is not really an option much much easier to shoot it. Trapping is easy after about the first 25, seriously. Don't shoot it with your air gun either that won't work. If you must trap it use a live trap on the hole(s)

Back
Top Bottom