Found in PooBoard This Morning **GRAPHIC PICS**

LittleBits

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I found this in the pooboard this morning. To me it looks like the membrane just inside the shell. I did not see any shell pieces. The glob at the bottom is gelatinous and appears like the white of an egg would be - kind of jiggly and I see the clear gelatin-type substance. I did not see any yellow in this.
The long strip of -whatever it is - that is in the middle was found in a different part of the pooboard, but certainly could've been dragged from its original spot, if this is part of the same expulsion. Sorry pics are full of PDZ.

I have no idea which one did this - have 15 hens and they move around at night, too. I'm only getting an average of 8 eggs/day - sometimes 10 or 11, and two days ago, only 5.

Have one green egg layer that hasn't laid an egg in 3 weeks, but other than that, she is acting normal. Sits on the other hen's eggs, but no egg from her. She's wild and I can't catch her either.

I crush their egg shells and feed them back. Diet is crumbles upon rising and scraps later in the day. Since they are penned, I always bring a handful of clover or grass when I go out there - which is quite often!

Any suggestions as to what to do? And what this might be? And what may have caused it? Thank you all so much for helping. (Again...)

OMG. I have never seen anything like THAT come out of a chook.

Ok, what are those gritty lumps? Are they fine gravel/similar? If they're soft I would think maybe necrotized or somehow rejected polycystic ovarian or similar tissues. If they're flesh or seem like flesh I would think cancer/multiple tumors of the reproductive tract. Do you give your birds corn?

OMG. I have never seen anything like THAT come out of a chook.

Ok, what are those gritty lumps? Are they fine gravel/similar? If they're soft I would think maybe necrotized or somehow rejected polycystic ovarian or similar tissues. If they're flesh or seem like flesh I would think cancer/multiple tumors of the reproductive tract. Do you give your birds corn?
Some of that is mixed in w/ the poop and it is ALL covered w/ the PDZ that I have in the pooboard. They don't get any corn right now...should I be giving them corn?

I think all the little lumps are poop. The main thing is the white stuff that looked like that membrane of the egg and the last picture that looked like the white of the egg - no yolk visible - It's jiggly like the white.

Maybe replace PDZ with shavings for the time being.
Looks like a bit of some feather at the top? Maybe a piece of plastic? or a piece of plastic or material wrapped around a feather ?

Eh, you've lost me, what's PDZ?

The reference to corn was how gm corn seems to be pretty good at filling their reproductive tracts with many small cancers, because initially that's what I thought it was lol.

Eh, you've lost me, what's PDZ?

The reference to corn was how gm corn seems to be pretty good at filling their reproductive tracts with many small cancers, because initially that's what I thought it was lol.
PDZ is a horse stall refresher that you can use in chicken coops to cut down on smell. If you have pooboards it catches the poo and you sift the poo out easily. You can also use it all over the coop floor if you choose. Sand can do the same thing, only PDZ cuts the smell more. See this thread:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures

Maybe replace PDZ with shavings for the time being.
Looks like a bit of some feather at the top? Maybe a piece of plastic? or a piece of plastic or material wrapped around a feather ?
Why replace the PDZ? You mean in case it happens again so we can get a better look?
I thought it could be a feather, too, but the feather may have not come through the chicken. May have already been in the pooboard as I sift out a few feathers now and then. Couldn't say for sure. If she passed plastic - where did it come from? Nothing like that in the run or coop.

What should I be watching for? Haven't seen any blood in the pooboard. No blood on eggs either.

Hi, I have horses so I know what PDZ is and I know some use it for chickens. I guess I'm just trying to eliminate reasons for that thing. There's nothing wrong with PDZ.

It sure is a strange thing!

If those little white lumps are PDZ, then all you've got is a soft-shelled egg, I think... As in, membrane only, no shell, could be many things at fault for that. I've seen a hen lay eggs like that for a year after being stepped on by a horse. Best wishes, hope it's just a small temporary issue.

Well, then it's probably nothing to really worry about? I'll just watch to see if it happens again or very often . . . hopefully, this was a one time thing. Thanks, all, for relieving my mind!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom