Found in PooBoard This Morning **GRAPHIC PICS**

Well, then it's probably nothing to really worry about? I'll just watch to see if it happens again or very often . . . hopefully, this was a one time thing. Thanks, all, for relieving my mind!
smile.png

Since this last post, I found an entire egg, which was laid on TOP of the water bucket, w/o a shell. Seems it just had that inner membrane - is that a shell-less egg, or a soft-shelled egg?

I also had another one in the poo-board offerings - it was broken, no shells evident and obviously had a yoke.

Got them some oyster shell and now feeding it to them w/ their feed.

How long does it take for the oyster shell to work, if they eat it? (A lot on the ground right now, thrown out w/ the food...)

It usually doesn't take long. The thing is there can be many reasons for eggs with no shell. Hopefully its just what it usually is, which is need for calcium. Good luck and I hope it works.
I have no idea if this comes from the same chicken, but this morning, I found an egg, shell included, in the poo-board. Wonder if she didn't know she had to lay one?

Had a hen the past 3 nights that didn't roost, but found her in the nesting box, so I moved her to the roost when I went to shut the door - maybe she's laying them and finally laid a good one...

Do chickens lay this late at night (it was dark out already - everyone else was roosting and quiet...

Quote: I'm totally in the dark if she is the one laying the shell-less eggs - we have 15 hens total, plus I don't know why she goes in the box instead of roosting! And I don't know if she lays an egg during the day or not. So many IFs. We get between 8-12 eggs/day from 15 hens that are all almost 2 years old. (I think.) But I did put out the oyster shell for everyone tho' most of it looks like it's scattered on the ground.

Would human calcium speed things up?

I'm totally in the dark if she is the one laying the shell-less eggs - we have 15 hens total, plus I don't know why she goes in the box instead of roosting! And I don't know if she lays an egg during the day or not. So many IFs. We get between 8-12 eggs/day from 15 hens that are all almost 2 years old. (I think.) But I did put out the oyster shell for everyone tho' most of it looks like it's scattered on the ground.

Would human calcium speed things up?

That's why I said that. I give mine plenty of oyster shell, too, but I have several hens that don't seem to get what they need from it, so depending on their size, they get between 250mg-2000mg when I think they're having egg "issues".

-Kathy

I don' t have the problem you are experiencing but , I have a problem with my Roo's pecking each others feather's out. So I put in my husbands hunting camera. It takes a lot of video and we found our culprit. It works well to see what is going on with the chickens.

My main coop had eggs that broke just looking at them, but they all had oyster shell available. Someone told me to put it in their food. Made a difference. The best thing is the shell "powder" that gets in the food. It all goes.

Back
Top Bottom