FOUND PEKIN DUCK AT POND!!! HELP!!!!!! INJURED!!!

Have you found a wild duck that is a domestic breed?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

OreoPlymothRock

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Florida
Hello, we found a White Pekin duck at a pond across our street, and she seems to be injured, she leans to her left. And we have 1 pekin duck we raised with 6 chicks and they get along fine since St. Patrick's Day. Is it okay to introduce the wild duck to our white pekin and chicks? And how would i introduce them. Isn't it illegal to set free a domestic duck? Please HELP!!!! And how do I help her with her injured joint.

I would keep her away from the rest in case she has any illnesses she could pass on to them.

Do you have her now or is she still on the pond? I would capture her and bring her to safety. I don't know what the laws are where you are, but I feel it is wrong to dump domestic animals.

You need to look at her closely to see what's wrong. Then you treat what she has. Could be bumblefoot, broken bone, sprain, something else.

But first, get ahold of her, keep her quarantined in a clean environment with good food and water, and start taking stock of what you are dealing with.

thank you for such a fast reply, we have her. She was walking away from us and not running. She leans to much on one side. Like one of her joints are broken or sprained? And we are sure its a girl, no curly feathers and makes a LOUD honk sound. And she didn't know how to eat feed. So we trained her to eat and then drink water so she would not choke. Thank you in Advance

I would get her into lukewarm water deep enough to float in, and look at the leg - and all over, actually. Any signs of infection, swelling, missing feathers, odd smell, that kind of thing. Just take inventory. Offer some peas, maybe. She may not recognize them as food.

I use warm Epsom salts compresses. That stuff is great for injuries, and as long as you keep them from eating or drinking it (it's a laxative), it is good for ducks just as it is good for people.

Check the bottoms of the feet for bumbles, and if there are some, hopefully they are not too large, and you can treat them with triple antibiotic (not with painkiller, as I have read that is toxic to ducks).

I would also get her on a vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic mix twice a week to build her up.

Bless you, bless her.

And if you can get a fecal sample examined for parasites that would be really good.

Thank you, her feces are watery, and we didn't put her in water because it is 10:36 PM here and its really dark. Thank you so much and God Bless you too :) Why can't you have them drink it, I think its Inevidible for them to drink, Thank you. And good night

Thank you, her feces are watery, and we didn't put her in water because it is 10:36 PM here and its really dark. Thank you so much and God Bless you too :) Why can't you have them drink it, I think its Inevidible for them to drink, Thank you. And good night
I'm soaking my goose's foot right now in Epsom salt water I use a bucket that way he can't get his head down into to it to drink the water with him standing in the bucket. ES is a laxative.

I dissolve the Epsom salts in warm water and then soak up the water in a clean rag, and hold the duck and wrap the foot and leg with the wet rag. I wear clothes I don't care getting messy, since I end up doing it myself, holding the duck in my lap, with a wet rag wrapped around her foot.

Back
Top Bottom