Pekin Over Mating

lsufran

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 2, 2016
We have 2 male pekin ducks, 3 female pekin and 2 Rouen female ducks. Then we have wild mallard males that constantly fly in. And that’s part of the problem. The wild mallards help the male pekin ducks mate and they constantly are mating one particular female to where she has feather loss. The other females show signs of being mated also. They all free range around the 5 acre pond that has a pier in the middle for them. No idea how to deal with the wild mallards that must also be mating with our females.

I'd put your females away from the drakes. many drakes on females especially in deep water will drown her because they will all pile on. And your seeing evidence of abuse so don't let it continue. Once the females are put away from the drakes most likely the mallard drakes will leave. Then once your females are healed and have time to recoup put them back 5 females to 2 drakes is really cutting it close the drakes should have at least 4 females each even more if you can accommodate.

I'd put your females away from the drakes. many drakes on females especially in deep water will drown her because they will all pile on. And you’re seeing evidence of abuse so don't let it continue. Once the females are put away from the drakes most likely the mallard drakes will leave. Then once your females are healed and have time to recoup put them back 5 females to 2 drakes is really cutting it close the drakes should have at least 4 females each even more if you can accommodate.
Sadly we recently lost two of our females. We will figure out a way to separate them as that’s the hardest part since they free range 100%. Sure wish they would make something you could put on the females or spray on them that would deter those darn males! Love our two males when it’s NOT mating season. And it seems they mate for many, many months!!

So your not in the USA? here mating does calm down over winter usually Oct on until late winter. That makes it hard when they are 100% free range.

I don't believe there is anything to stop the drakes. Unless you went for neutering and that would cost a fortune and be hazardous to the life of the drake. What happened to your 2 females? if you don't mind me asking.

So your not in the USA? here mating does calm down over winter usually Oct on until late winter. That makes it hard when they are 100% free range.

I don't believe there is anything to stop the drakes. Unless you went for neutering and that would cost a fortune and be hazardous to the life of the drake. What happened to your 2 females? if you don't mind me asking.
We assume coyote may have gotten them. They were here one day and gone the next. That’s one of the hazards of free ranging, but we found our ducks are actually safer on the water with a pier than on land especially at night. We are in south Louisiana. Mating does calm down for a few months, but it’s never soon enough.

Probably the more south you are the longer it goes on I have a friend in Texas that her Muscovy breed and hatch year-round mine stop mating and laying in Oct So where we live does make a difference.
Sorry about your ducks. I know if I didn't lock mine up they'd all be gone before the week was up.

Probably the more south you are the longer it goes on I have a friend in Texas that her Muscovy breed and hatch year-round mine stop mating and laying in Oct So where we live does make a difference.
Sorry about your ducks. I know if I didn't lock mine up they'd all be gone before the week was up.
We have had really good success with them and surprised they have made it this long. We wanted to give them a chance of living a good life and not become food! Lol

Mine have little over half acre fenced for daytime no pond just pools but they are happy and healthy have never lost a duck or goose to a predator just chickens that think it’s great fun flying out into the woods. We never know how things will go when we let them free range but it to me is much better than penned up.

We have 2 male pekin ducks, 3 female pekin and 2 Rouen female ducks. Then we have wild mallard males that constantly fly in. And that’s part of the problem. The wild mallards help the male pekin ducks mate and they constantly are mating one particular female to where she has feather loss. The other females show signs of being mated also. They all free range around the 5 acre pond that has a pier in the middle for them. No idea how to deal with the wild mallards that must also be mating with our females.
Update: I rounded up all of the females and put them in a pen. They don’t seem to be getting along. Not sure if I will be able to keep them all in there or not.

Give them time putting them up isn't something they are used to. If you have a pool for them to get into that might help. This is probably the only way you are going to get the mallards to leave since they won't have any females to mate.

Back
Top Bottom