Found two serama eggs under the pigeon!

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Hi, we have just found two tiny eggs of our seramas in one of the pigeons nests. Probably missed them thinking they are pigeons ones but since they havent hatched yet we doubled checked. Well, the first thing I did was to candle them and they are quite developed - looks like day 14 or 15 to me. We are not ready to raise chicks on our own (not with a mother hen), the brooder isn't set up and we are really worried. However, we have a broody hen that should have her chicks hatched in about 10 days. We thought of sliding them under her. But the thing is that there is a gap of about 4 days between the hatches!! What should we do??? Please help us

I would get a brooder set up asap.

The broody likely will sit on those eggs just fine, but if the Serama hatch a good 4 days ahead of the others, I'd definitely worry that Mama would leave the nest with the chicks and of course, the other eggs wouldn't hatch.

You could let her hatch the 2 and then remove the chicks, hope she continues to sit for a few more days. Possible having them hatch will disrupt the broody cycle and she may abandon the nest even if you take the chicks.

I can think of all kinds of ways this can play out. Could be everything turns out o.k.

But, for your peace of mind and for the sake of any chicks that may be left out. Get the brooder set up and ready to go. If you have an incubator, get that warmed up too - just in case.

I would get a brooder set up asap.

The broody likely will sit on those eggs just fine, but if the Serama hatch a good 4 days ahead of the others, I'd definitely worry that Mama would leave the nest with the chicks and of course, the other eggs wouldn't hatch.

You could let her hatch the 2 and then remove the chicks, hope she continues to sit for a few more days. Possible having them hatch will disrupt the broody cycle and she may abandon the nest even if you take the chicks.

I can think of all kinds of ways this can play out. Could be everything turns out o.k.

But, for your peace of mind and for the sake of any chicks that may be left out. Get the brooder set up and ready to go. If you have an incubator, get that warmed up too - just in case.

Thank you for your comment. Will it be possible to slide these 2 chicks under the broody hen once her eggs hatch? She will probably not notice, she is a sweetheart. But I take into account that they will already be about 5 days old...

Possible she may accept them, hard to know what a broody will do.

Is she a Serama hen too or standard fowl? Are the eggs she's sitting on Serama or standard fowl?

Size differences, especially with chicks may affect the way she acts or even how the chicks interact with one another.

Back
Top Bottom