Four Month Old Rooster Can’t Walk, Legs Extended in Front of Him

Renada_

Chirping
Mar 3, 2023
The first day I went and he was laying on his back in the coop, he was fine the day before, so this was very odd to me. I pulled him out and he was very wobbly, he stumbled and seemed like he struggled to walk. Well he started to get better, but then his leg stuck straight forward and we could bend it under him no problem when we picked him up. The next day it would not bend at all, now today both legs are like that. From the initial instability to paralysis was one week. I love this rooster and I am not sure it is Mareks simply because the only symptoms he has of that is his inability to walk. My other chickens that were around him his whole life are not showing any signs of having problems. He eats fine and drinks fine with no problems and he has normal poops. I’ve been giving him poultry cell the last few days thinking it was a deficiency, but no changes. I don’t want to cull, are there any ideas you may have?

This vid is day one

This vid was two days ago when I was giving him poultry cell orally

I’m having a very similar problem with a 6 week old chick. my chickens are free range and his mom abandoned him and his one remaining sibling at 4 weeks. He and his sibling stay together and the sibling is fine, but last night I noticed my cockerel having balance issues and today he’s having a lot of difficulty walking. He ate ravenously this morning and I’ve isolated him in a crate in the house to keep him safe and to keep an eye on him. He seems to be perky and is pooping ok. He’s just not able to walk well.

Oh, and these chicks were hatched and raised by their mom. Any thoughts? Is there anything I should/could be giving him? I have him on electrolytes.

Last edited:
I’m having a very similar problem with a 6 week old chick. my chickens are free range and his mom abandoned him and his one remaining sibling at 4 weeks. He and his sibling stay together and the sibling is fine, but last night I noticed my cockerel having balance issues and today he’s having a lot of difficulty walking. He ate ravenously this morning and I’ve isolated him in a crate in the house to keep him safe and to keep an eye on him. He seems to be perky and is pooping ok. He’s just not able to walk well.

Oh, and these chicks were hatched and raised by their mom. Any thoughts? Is there anything I should/could be giving him? I have him on electrolytes.
I’d say buy some Poultry Cell! I got some from Amazon and it shipped in two days! Even if it doesn’t work, it’ll be good to have on hand!

Back
Top Bottom