FOWL POX do I treat lesions or leave them alone??????????

I am also , or I should say my flock, is infected with the fowl pox....the skeeters were so bad here this summer (I live in Memphis, TN.), I keep my run dry as possible but I live between three rivers and there are swamps everywhere you go around here! I have started running a fan 24/7 in the coop and run just to keep the little bitters at bay. I will try the iodine treatment as well and next year I plan on planting citronella around coop and run and I am going to get some citronella oil and treat large spots on the inside & outside walls of my coop as well...the ole ounce of prevention that I should of already used this year...I understand as long as the pox does NOT go internal (there is more than one strain) there is a very low mortality rate and once the get well they are immune...thank goodness my girls started showing signs late September...at least the cooler weather will slow the bugs down...and also give them time to rebound before full on winter weather sets in...at least they have not slowed down to much on egg production, but I feel so sorry for my girls with big combs, the pea combs are not as effected , yet anyway.

I have wet and dry fowl pox it looks like though none terrible yet. My concern is for all the chicks out there :/ They say vaccinate at 14 to 16 weeks. Well that is a full grown bird - the majority of my whole flock of over 100 birds is between a week and a 2 months. I am scared of trying to vaccinate anyway - but it sounds like they will all be stunted and sickly if they survive the virus without it. I don't know - I am not a big vaccine fan to begin with so it is all really stressing me out. These babies are intended to be my rare breed breeders next year.

I agree. This is in no way a hygiene or poor management problem. This is caused by a mosquito. I live in TX and closed coops can be disastrous. So many people in the south have open coops and their is no way to keep mosquitos out. It'll just have to run it's course, clean the coop. Maybe treating the wounds, that would take me hours to do to each hen each day, and just catching them would cause extra stress each day for them. I add an electrolyte powder with vitamins or Nutri-drench to help them along.

I added some Vet-ex drops to their water and used Blue Star ointment on the combs and wattles...it worked great, just enough Vaseline to help the scabs and enough Mentholatum to keep skeets off the birds and some anti-Whatever.... to help combat the pox..... ALL the girls have came back strong in less than 3 weeks all told and that was with a week into symptoms before I started treating them...I really attribute the Blue Star ointment to helping with the skeets and healing...

I found out today that sadly three of my girls have avian pox
sad.png
. I have noticed that every time I walk in the coup I'm immediately attacked by mosquitoes (it's the dead of summer in FL so no escaping it!) I'm wondering if planting citronella plants around the outside of the run/coop will help as well as hanging some around the outside to keep the bugs out. Has anyone tried using the citronella plants like this?

My chickens are also infected with this disease. I also make sure the coop and outside area is clean. I clean their drinking water 3 times a day. It seems the problem is wide spead as I live in Fulton, MO.

Back
Top Bottom