Fowl pox in chick 12-16 weeks old; vaccines/treatment?

erineliot

Chirping
Jul 10, 2022
Hello,
I have a happy, seemingly healthy young chick born mid April. She showed a few black spots on her comb. One quickly became inflamed and scabbed over. Now she has one on her eye and one on her chest. They get bigger daily. Is this fowl pox? If so, do I just use the sprays or vaccinate? If I vaccinate, how do I go about that? And also, I have a parrot and cat in close proximity, are they susceptible?
Thanks so much!
Erin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 8
Hello,
I have a happy, seemingly healthy young chick born mid April. She showed a few black spots on her comb. One quickly became inflamed and scabbed over. Now she has one on her eye and one on her chest. They get bigger daily. Is this fowl pox? If so, do I just use the sprays or vaccinate? If I vaccinate, how do I go about that? And also, I have a parrot and cat in close proximity, are they susceptible?
Thanks so much!
Erin
Looks very mild.

Vaccination isn't necessary, the chicken will build up natural immunity against it, & won't get it again. Just let it run it's coarse. What you don't want is wet pox, which is abit more severe, & the bird would require some assistance getting over the disease.

The cat is fine, the parrot would only get it if they get bitten by mosquitoes, or come into contact with the scabs.

Back
Top Bottom