Fowl Pox or Bullying (update with 2 more pics)

Rawstyx

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2021
Edit: got 2 pictures of one hen on the roost tonight with bloody comb. Does that happen with fowl pox? This all seemed pretty sudden.

Hello all. I have 5 backyard hens between 1.5 and 4 years old. I was home this weekend and I thought it seemed like there was more bickering than should have been. Then when I went out there this morning, the smallest hen was in the far back corner refusing to come eat with the others, her comb looked terrible. Then I noticed black spots on all the hens combs. I had also noticed a few days ago some feathers missing from the back of a couple necks, which I assumed was a molt starting. Now I am wondering if I may have triggered some infighting thru something I changed. About a week ago I took away their "dog bowl style" feed dish in an effort to reduce them throwing food everwhere. I replaced it with a gravity feeder with holes, the type made for chickens. I noticed a lot less food was missing than before, so I thought my efforts to reduce waste were successful, now I'm wondering if they just weren't eating. Egg production halted shortly after changing feeders too. I will include pictures I tried to quickly grab of combs this morning.

Thoughts? Just bullying due to food change, or something else. Not likely frostbite, as I'm in Los Angeles. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20231113_065107.jpg
    20231113_065107.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20231113_065039.jpg
    20231113_065039.jpg
    687.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231113_192641.jpg
    20231113_192641.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231113_192614.jpg
    20231113_192614.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Then when I went out there this morning, the smallest hen was in the far back corner refusing to come eat with the others, her comb looked terrible. Then I noticed black spots on all the hens combs. I had also noticed a few days ago some feathers missing from the back of a couple necks

About a week ago I took away their "dog bowl style" feed dish in an effort to reduce them throwing food everwhere. I replaced it with a gravity feeder with holes, the type made for chickens.

Egg production halted shortly after changing feeders too.
It may be Fowl Pox, but it also may just be scabs from picking.

You've made some changes in feed stations. Are they able to reach into the feed ports without catching combs or cutting them?

Most birds with dry form of Fowl Pox do not hide or go off feed, so her refusal to come eat with the others makes me think something else is going on.

If you wish, paint the combs with Iodine to help dry up scabs, but evaluate the feed situation.

For the one that is not coming to eat, make sure she's not got lice/mites, that her crop is emptying and offer her some food in a normal dish, see if she acts like she's starving. If she does, then you'll need to consider a different feeder situation or see if the ports need to be larger, etc. Sometimes when feed stations are changed, it can cause disruption.

You've made some changes in feed stations. Are they able to reach into the feed ports without catching combs or cutting them?

Most birds with dry form of Fowl Pox do not hide or go off feed, so her refusal to come eat with the others makes me think something else is going on.

If you wish, paint the combs with Iodine to help dry up scabs, but evaluate the feed situation.

For the one that is not coming to eat, make sure she's not got lice/mites, that her crop is emptying and offer her some food in a normal dish, see if she acts like she's starving. If she does, then you'll need to consider a different feeder situation or see if the ports need to be larger, etc. Sometimes when feed stations are changed, it can cause disruption.

I made changes to the feeding situation this morning, and even slid the small hen her own dish. She did start eating, at least a bit before I walked away. I'm hoping you are right. I had no idea was Fowl Pox was before posting on here, but now I'm going to be extra vigilant in case the others are correct. I will check the hens for mites or other legions, at least the ones I can catch. Thank You for your help.

I made changes to the feeding situation this morning, and even slid the small hen her own dish. She did start eating, at least a bit before I walked away. I'm hoping you are right. I had no idea was Fowl Pox was before posting on here, but now I'm going to be extra vigilant in case the others are correct. I will check the hens for mites or other legions, at least the ones I can catch. Thank You for your help.
It could still be Fowl Pox, there's a few scabs that are questionable there.
Fowl Pox is spread by mosquitoes and is a virus, so usually will run its course over a few weeks. Any of mine that have had Fowl Pox (dry form) acted normal, were active/ate/drank with no issues.

If you wish, you could still paint the scabs on the combs with Iodine to heal those up and dry them out, it won't hurt anything if it's not Fowl Pox.

The one little hen that ate a little, does she have the worst scabs? Take a look inside her beak and on the beak/around her eyes to make sure there's no lesions or material inside the beak.

I'd definitely watch her, see that she's eating/drinking o.k., if not pull her aside again and offer her some food/water or bits of scrambled egg to see if she's willing.

Back
Top Bottom