Fowlpox?

Rider4u

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
I have a hen with all of these scabs on her head and I looked it up and I think it’s fowlpox but I’m not sure. I think my roosters had it at one point but it is gone on them and my other hen has it as well but not as severely and hers are also going away. Is that what it is? And if so, what can I do to help her? I check and make sure none of them are bleeding or infected and her appetite has not been affected at all. She is not sluggish or anything and moves the same as my other chickens. I’m just really concerned for her.

Attachments

• 63C00E8E-84B4-4C07-BCDA-CD770891B9D4.jpeg
    63C00E8E-84B4-4C07-BCDA-CD770891B9D4.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 13
  • D4BEE546-A802-4860-B4D3-1CE306B22154.jpeg
    D4BEE546-A802-4860-B4D3-1CE306B22154.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 11
one of my pullets has something similar on her nose, that does look like fowl pox but i'm not completely sure. fowl pox is spread by mosquitoes, do you have lots of them in your area right now? <--- (that's a little of a silly question, mosquitoes are everywhere)

Attachments

• IMG_1379.JPG
    IMG_1379.JPG
    416.4 KB · Views: 9
one of my pullets has something similar on her nose, that does look like fowl pox but i'm not completely sure. fowl pox is spread by mosquitoes, do you have lots of them in your area right now? <--- (that's a little of a silly question, mosquitoes are everywhere)
Yes I do have mosquitoes! Especially right now cause I’m in the south and it’s humid right now because of the tropical storms.

I do think that she probably has dr y fowl,pox, but it doesn’t look like the typical coloring we see. I would try not to disturb the scabs, but you can paint some Betadine on the scabs to help dry them up. They usually get over pox in several weeks, and are immune to it later. Here is a good article to read about fowl pox:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks

I do think that she probably has dr y fowl,pox, but it doesn’t look like the typical coloring we see. I would try not to disturb the scabs, but you can paint some Betadine on the scabs to help dry them up. They usually get over pox in several weeks, and are immune to it later. Here is a good article to read about fowl pox:
http://extension.msstate.edu/publications/fowl-pox-backyard-flocks
Ok. Thanks so much. I was really concerned for her and was worried cause it didn’t look like all of the other ones I had seen. This is my first experience with this so I want to make sure I can take care of her the best I can.

Back
Top Bottom