Fox Attack in Broad Daylight

We haven't seen "our fox" in about 5 days, but pretty sure it is still around. We've been standing guard over the flock when we let them out to free range. Hasn't been much fun in the rain/drizzle we've been having, but they need to go out when we can manage it. They have been getting LOTS of bugs and worms and the wild strawberries are everywhere. Last night I cleaned out the refrigerator and scrambled 12 doz. eggs, which I fed to them this morning. I haven't been able to get out to the end of the driveway to sell them since we've had so much rain and my co-workers haven't been taking them home when I bring them to work SO more protein to the flock. Still have 5 doz. in the fridge. Even though we've got 4 broodies right now, we are still getting about 13 eggs a day and the two of us can't eat that many if we try.

The Fox came back yesterday...right in my backyard with the dogs outside and grabbed another one of my EE and almost killed her but our dog took out after it and the fox let the hen go. I can not believe it is so bold that it would come in the yard during the day with dogs in the back yard. The foxes must have kits and they have to be hungry but come on. So today, they will stay up in there coops. It is to cold to sit outside guarding them.
hide.gif

Wow, you guys are scaring me!

My chirps don't free range at all, as we have not only foxes, but coyotes, hawks, owls, raccoons and potentially a stray dog or two. BUT - the other day we were taking the dogs out for their walk and my DH saw a fox about 5 feet from the coop, also in broad daylight. The run is turkey wire with a wooden base, and it's covered. The chickens dig and scratch along the fence and in a few places where the ground dips, a fox might be able to dig under.... Guess I'll put chicken wire down in those places and let the grass grow up through.

My hens get grass thanks to the lawn mower with a bag. I mow every day I can and dump a bag in each run.

We had a fox come along in the morning and he foolishly chose to go for our big mean tom turkey enclosure (thank goodness). It is really a wood shed and NOT predator proof, but this tom was too aggressive for the safety of our kids, so he was awaiting freezer camp there temporarily.
The first time the fox came by our cat growled at him from the bedroom window. When we ran to look out the fox was thinking on digging his way into the enclosure but ran when we slid open the window - but as brassy as it gets, the fox stopped on his way back to the woods and tossed our dog's tennis ball around a couple times first (until we made some real noise).
The very next morning about 7am the fox came back and began digging his way in. We did not see this happen but found the hole and some fox fur floating about in the toms enclosure. Have not seen the fox since.
wink.png

Told both our big dogs its pretty sad when the turkey is getting rid of predators instead of them.
Now though, said tom is in the freezer so back to being extra watchful and uneasy........

they'reHISchickens :

We had a similar attack on Easter about noon. Hubby yelled at the fox and it dropped the blue orp. I think having larger chickens makes it tough to get the mouth around:) no damage done, but now we are afraid to let them free range without a shootin'iron handy. We are still looking for the right dog to replace our Cleo so that is no help.
sad.png

Cleo always worried about a patch of brush about 1500 ft away. We are thinking "den".

I have a friend who saw one of her white cochins grabbed by a fox. It took off back toward the woods and she jogged after it. It must not have known she was there - when she could see it was going to make it through the back fence, she let loose with a blast of blue language and gave the fox such a fright that it dropped the hen in a mouthful of feathers and bolted. The cochin was a bit disoriented but none the worse for wear.
smile.png

Last edited:
I did the same thing last week, when the darn fox grabbed my EE(my fav) and I ran off the back porch and scream with all I had and the fox let her go. She has a broken wing but other than that OK... She will not be flying over the fence into the horse pasture anymore. I hate foxes so bad. I am going to have to get someone over here and sit around and shoot it. I hate to say it but the foxes have to go. He just came into my yard and I have 3 very small Chihuahua dogs. I know they will get them too. So the line has been drawn.

Quote:
My Sussex got lucky. Unfortunately, an hour or two later it came back and got one of my EE pullets less than 10 yards from the coop while we were all outside.
rant.gif
All were accounted for after the first time...she must have snuck out after we rounded them up.
hit.gif
Our friend's daughter's found her by the road partially eaten when they went home. I threw on the hunting camp and spent a couple of hours today at the back of the property with the 22. One of our neighbors says he sees them using the power line trail all the time. I agree, it's gotta go. Especially since the fox here can carry rabies. DH just went out a set a live trap with some moose meat in it. We'll see what happens.

My oldest DS and his friend were on the Gator this afternoon around 2 pm, and saw a fox lurking about 20 ft from my Hen House! He didn't get any of my chicks, but I'll bet he was scouting... That makes me so mad!

had the same thing happen to me with all the flooding going on around here its pushing all the foxes and everything else out of the swamps and to the high ground where everyone lives had one come into my chickens while they were free ranging i was feeding my coonhounds just so happend i was feeding my best dog who had treed foxes in the past so i turned her loose after a good 4 hour chase mr.fox is no more

Back
Top Bottom