Fox or Coon?

chilman

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2011
I‘ve recently lost 2 chickens, both times from 2:00-4:00 in the afternoon. My first chicken, I originally found nothing but some tail feathers. Not a drop of blood, carcass, or body part to be found. Yesterday, another chicken disappeared. I found a few feathers from her head. Upon investigating, I discovered more feathers and a partial wing of my 1st chicken. I also found both wings of my second missing chicken. It looked like both wings had just been pulled off Of her There is no carcass, not a single drop of blood and no body parts. This discovery was found underneath our outdoor shed that is about 10-12 inches from the ground. A fox and a raccoon have both been seen on our property. Again, no blood, no body parts, no carcass, just some feathers and wings. What’s your opinio? Fox or coon?

I‘ve recently lost 2 chickens, both times from 2:00-4:00 in the afternoon. My first chicken, I originally found nothing but some tail feathers. Not a drop of blood, carcass, or body part to be found. Yesterday, another chicken disappeared. I found a few feathers from her head. Upon investigating, I discovered more feathers and a partial wing of my 1st chicken. I also found both wings of my second missing chicken. It looked like both wings had just been pulled off Of her There is no carcass, not a single drop of blood and no body parts. This discovery was found underneath our outdoor shed that is about 10-12 inches from the ground. A fox and a raccoon have both been seen on our property. Again, no blood, no body parts, no carcass, just some feathers and wings. What’s your opinio? Fox or coon?
My experience with raccoons is that they just eat the head and crop. Sounds like foxes to me.

Agreed, fox. Fox carry them off. I watched one grab one of my buff Orpingtons and run off with her. The mop in my hand scared him so much he dropped the hen. She lied there in shock, then got up, shook off, and went back to foraging. Fox don't even have to kill them, so there isn't usually blood. There may be a pile of feathers, but there may not be. They bring their prey back to their den.

If it's a Racoon it's probably sick because they don't come out in daylight much, maybe the last hour of the day. A coon may eat it's catch close by but fox will carry there catch away. To me it sounds more like a possum or wild cat.

Back
Top Bottom