Daggum FOX!!

ThreePs

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2022
I know that many of you have lost chickens to a fox. It’s been discussed before and I appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge and experiences. To say the least, I’m devastated that my Penelope has disappeared. I was literally watching my chickens as they free-ranged yesterday. Our run is small and we let them out only when we can be outside watching them. We just lost our Wyandotte, Pippi last week after a dog attack. We recently moved to the country and we’re quickly being reminded of our roots and the dangers that lurk in the woods. This time I was right there. I didn’t see him coming, but that dastardly fox ran like lightning and engaged in a battle with Perseus, our rooster. It took me by surprise and my eyes and brain couldn’t connect quickly enough to know what I actually saw. I know I saw a fox running straight toward them, I saw wings flapping and heard squawking and in a flash it was done and the fox was gone. After the event, everyone was accounted for except my first chicken, my chicken daughter, my pride and joy, Penelope. Do you know that I never even knew what breed she was for sure. And I actually don’t even know why I’m posting. I guess first and foremost, to let you know that these predators can snatch their prey literally in front of you. With no sign whatsoever. Not even one single feather, not one drop of blood, no tracks, no signs of chicken feet dragging. Nothing. And it happens so fast, you can’t even recall seeing anything in its mouth. I keep praying that Penelope is hiding somewhere still but it’s been almost 24 hours and no response to the crinkling of the bag of her favorite snack, mealworms. She’s just gone. Perseus has been calling for her nonstop all day. The other girls seem lost without their lead coop-mate. Someone please tell me they’ve found a missing hen after a stealthy fox attack, even days later, ALIVE!?!

Attachments

• IMG_7405.jpeg
    IMG_7405.jpeg
    868.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6095.jpeg
    IMG_6095.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Foxes are so quick and smart. ☹️
I'm sorry your girl is missing and fingers crossed she comes back.

I am so sorry. We lost our beloved Dot and Penny and 7 others when I made a terrible error forgetting to check the lock before bed and the fox got into the coop overnight. Since then, we have bought and lost 13 more in various attacks. And that is just the last 9 months or so. 😢
Our most recent loss was two in midday just two days ago. I am shoring up and rebuilding (like I do every time), but the fox just learns and finds another way. I, too, was hoping I was mistaken and that my girls would come home yesterday. Hugs!

Fox are definitely quick and smart, a few years ago I was push mowing the yard and one ran up right past me and gone with a hen before I could turn around 🥹 last year we lost a few to a coyote that hid in the tree line until a hen would venture to close, he’d be gone in a flash, husband came home and said “ a coyote just crossed our road w a hen in its mouth!” The survivors got smart and never leave the yard around the house, no loss this year. Hot wire around the run keeps everything out when they are put up. I only free range when we are going to be home. Plus the hens seem to understand the dogs barks for any predators and take cover, price of living among the wilds I guess😉

I'm sorry for your loss, Penelope was a beautiful bird. Grammyshell is right, get an electric fence, with at least 1 hotwire, preferably 3, spaced 4" apart. Even with a Roo, it's not enough. To make you feel better, I did have an easteregger and a buff Orpington that survived a fox attack with no damage.

Back
Top Bottom