Fox attack

Ok, Long story short the same thing happened with one of my turkey poults, This time it's worse. She's eating and drinking but that's pretty much it. She has a pretty deep gash on her back and it hasn't stopped bleeding. I've got her in my room next to a window where i have my call ducklings. She's very dirty and wet, I tried blow drying her but she hated that.. Should I give her a bath before I start putting stuff on her? And any suggestions to stop the bleeding??
IMG_0393.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG

For shock I picked up this at tractor supply, How much should I mix into her water? (The waterer i'm using holds 1QT.)
IMG_0398.JPG

She's in the green bin, Should I have a heat lamp on her as well?
IMG_0402.JPG

Quick poop pic, I gave her the proper amount of electrolytes and managed to get her to drink a few drops, She seems more interested in her food though.
IMG_0405.JPG

Just flush the wounds with saline, diluted betadine or warm soapy water if that is all you have.
Apply some triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

I would not add a heat lamp to your poult since she is in a tote. Maybe put a towel in there for her to snuggle in.

I understand that you free range, but you may want to consider installing electric fencing. The Fox is going to keep coming and finally work it's way through your flocks.
Trapping and/or shooting is a solution, but once these Fox are gone, more usually move in. Start working on a long-term solution for protecting your flock.

Just flush the wounds with saline, diluted betadine or warm soapy water if that is all you have.
Apply some triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

I would not add a heat lamp to your poult since she is in a tote. Maybe put a towel in there for her to snuggle in.

I understand that you free range, but you may want to consider installing electric fencing. The Fox is going to keep coming and finally work it's way through your flocks.
Trapping and/or shooting is a solution, but once these Fox are gone, more usually move in. Start working on a long-term solution for protecting your flock.
I flushed it out with warm water mixed with antiseptic, And covered it with wound dressing.

I took care of the fox, Shot it from my deck this morning. I actually thought the turkey was dead until I picked it up by it's feet and started freaking out.. I have no idea how she's still alive but she's looking much better, chirping and eating. Hasn't drank much but she's getting better..

The fox is dead so hopefully I wont have anymore trouble with them for a while..
Fox kill.jpg
I do plan to fence in my property but that will take a very long time since I live on 40 acres.. I'm also getting 2 great pyrenees x aussie pups from a friend to raise outside with my animals..
But besides that I can't really do much right now.

I don't recommend saline, since salt in a wound burns, and they've been through enough pain, and trauma. Most people have neosporin, or the generic equivalent of triple antibiotic ointment. Slather it on. If they pick at it, get a box of Telfa type non-stick pads, and vet wrap. The few wounds I've had to deal with, they didn't pick, so the pad, and wrap were not necessary. While you're there, you might want to pick up a bottle of Betadine skin cleanser. I know it's a bit on the expensive side, not overly so, but it's great stuff for initially flushing a wound, and you don't have to use much at a time. After it's flushed the first time, usually following up with neosporin on a steady basis is all that's needed. The skin will regranulate, and heal in time.

I flushed it out with warm water mixed with antiseptic, And covered it with wound dressing.

I took care of the fox, Shot it from my deck this morning. I actually thought the turkey was dead until I picked it up by it's feet and started freaking out.. I have no idea how she's still alive but she's looking much better, chirping and eating. Hasn't drank much but she's getting better..

The fox is dead so hopefully I wont have anymore trouble with them for a while..
I do plan to fence in my property but that will take a very long time since I live on 40 acres.. I'm also getting 2 great pyrenees x aussie pups from a friend to raise outside with my animals..
If you cover the wound with a dressing, please check it everyday to monitor the condition of the wound. I'm not a fan of covering a wound unless a bird won't leave it alone.

I'm glad that you were able to get the Fox. You have quite a bit of property so I do understand fencing would be expensive. It's great that you will be getting some dogs that, in time and with proper training, will be protectors of your flock:)

I hope both your chicken and the poult recover soon, please keep us posted.

glad you where able to dispatch the @!##!@*@* thing T post and field wire does not cost as much get part done as you can add more to it ... Glad the turkey is still alive great use of the storage boxes make nice hospital wards ...

Back
Top Bottom