Fox Pictures (next to the coop)

I agree with the majority. I call it as a mangy fox.
The points seem darker than a coyotes and it is the right size. Not to mention I have seen mangy foxes in close range and daylight.

It is particularly nasty in areas where McMansions have gone up in formerly rural fields. The extra garbage/compost piles attracts them and for a while you see tons of cute baby foxes trotting all around. Then a few months later you see bald creatures with pus coated eyes walking right down the sidewalk in broad daylight.

ANd yes, I agree, shoot it. For every one mangy fox you see there is a plethora in hiding. THis is a classic sign of overpopulation, at least here in WI. He will most likely come back soon.

as far as i'm concerned it dosen't matter if it is a fox sick or not. It's messing with your chickens. If it were here it would have already been dead. No since in waiting until it gets more of your chickens.

We have a mangy looking fox around too, and my dad has been trying to get it but whenever he is home from work he never shows up, they arent scared of ANYTHING they are very bold and will come very close to u. i would say shoot it, since u dont have a gun ask a friend or neighbor who has a gun to come over and shoot it, it will be best for everyone. i will try to get a better pic for u i will post it if it comes out good.

Good Luck!

~Trista~

I am nearly always in favor of letting native predators be. I have lost many fowl to them over time, but I still let them be. They are essential to a healthy ecology, and they are hard pressed enough with overdevelopment, loss of habitat, and over-hunting, without being killed for the act of taking their dinner where they can find it.

That having been said, I would make an exception in this case. An unhealthy fox running around near people in daytime is a danger to itself, to the healthy population of foxes, and to the people and pets in your area. While it probably would prefer to live, its existence and persistence in populated areas (in daylight), brings attention to itself and to any other foxes that might be out there, which is usually bad news for predator populations. Furthermore, if it is ill, it is running around spreading illness to every fox and potentially every canine it comes in contact with.

If you're not able to do the deed yourself, you can call in animal control OR you can probably find someone (try craigslist) in the area who would appreciate the opportunity to hunt the fox for sport. Many hunters are extremely responsible and respectful, and a good hunter should be able to put the fox out quickly and relatively humanely. Just select your hunter carefully--and make it clear that you are authorizing him to kill this particular fox ONLY.

Good luck!

Biddieacres, I'm from Mass., too, with a similar setup as yours (minus the pond). Our back property line abutts conservation land.

Yesterday on 8/29 in the early afternoon I heard/saw a ruccus outside and at first I thought the hens and guineas were just chasing each other.

Fortunately, all of our girls were in the enclosed pen because I saw that it was a fox walking around right outside the pen. I immediately tore outside, grabbed a pitchfork and went for the fox.
It took off.

It struck me as rather brazen on the part of the fox to enter an open suburban backyard with the coop fairly near the house. Is it the consensus here that a fox out like that in the daytime is usually sick?

I spoke to a local (about 3-4 miles away from me) chicken farmer later that day and we told me a neighboring town had just caught a fox with rabies.

DH took out the bb gun for me to keep handy (we also have other weaponry but I'm not going to have that stuff out and about).

So,

1) I'm sorry for your losses because I would freak out if something took any of my girls.

2) I'm wondering if we are in the same area (North of Boston).

Pam

Hi Pam! Sorry I am just reading this now...but I am actually south of Boston. Good luck with your fox problem and hope your hens are all safe.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Red foxes are not actually native to North America. They were introduced from Europe for fox hunting. Gray foxes are native, but this looks like a red to me.

Ergo- Shoot it and don't feel bad about the native ecosystem. It is not a legitimate part anyway.

Back
Top Bottom