Fox problem

Pics
I've only read through a few pages here to get the idea of what has been said so please forgive me if I'm repeating anything.

We had a fox problem two years ago when a female red fox took up residence under a neighbor's vacation home and raised kits there. Neighbor lost their whole flock while we were constantly finding remains of chickens other than our own in our pasture and around our pond. We had no losses. Run is chain link, coop is clad in metal siding/door with a solid pop door that is closed and locked each night with a carrabiner clamp. The big thing is that I have my coop and run hot wired. I found fox tracks around the coop in the solf mud but there was not one incursion into the run or coop. The run is covered with deer netting. Also, I do not free range, although this summer I am going to allow some old girls and rooster out in the yard under supervision.

So 1) hot wire your run. Initial cost isn't cheap but it pays for itself in no time flat.

2) keep your birds in a run until the threat has been contained and get a good dog to run your property at night and during the day. We had an Australian Cattle dog that kept our varmints at bay. He became ill almost three years ago and died last November. When he was no longer able to run the property, we had the insurgence of fox in our area.No wild animal wants to risk confrontation with a tough dog in which it might get injured. Injured is dead in the wild animal world. It's not necessary to have a guard dog, even a little yapper will do the job during the day.

3)contact your local conservation department and ask them for help. I finally did. Their response? Rural Missourians have rifles by their back doors. It's pretty much SOP for around where we live as there are coyotes, raccoons, possums, skunks, cougar and bobcats to be found not to mention timber rattlers and copperhead snakes. If we saw the fox and could get a shot at her or her offspring, take them out. We were told that it is almost impossible to trap fox with a live trap and the only way to trap one is with a foot snare trap which we did not want to use. Any animal that takes livestock is considered a nuisance animal here and farmers have a right to protect their livestock.

I hope these suggestions help you. Unfortunately you have to remember that chickens may be considered backyard pets, most consider them to be livestock and if you have livestock, you are eventually going to have dead stock. Still you can cut those loses to a minimum if you predator proof your surroundings to the best of your ability.

Good luck. Hope you can rid yourself of the offending fox.

PS.If you are not abject to trapping you might be able to find a local trapper who would jump at the prospect of setting traps on your property and catching the fox for you in exchange for the pelt. The reason we didn't want traps is because we have dogs that run free and we didn't want them to get snared.

Murray McMurray sells something called a night-guard. It’s s red light that goes on and off and makes predators feel preyed upon. I don’t have one , but have spoken to those who do and they say it works well!

I haven't done it, but they say these weasel traps made from rat traps work great, baited with some fresh bloody meat..

pHXHJlP.jpg

S5hdTOY.jpg
Thanks. I am going to build one of these today and put it out there. I fixed a couple of spots where the weasel may have been getting in but the best option to my mind is to just get rid of it. While I don't like losing chickens I understand the cycle of predator and prey and the occasional loss is something I can live with. But this weasel took almost my entire flock out in less than a week and just has to go.

We have a Fox that comes through our yard often but we have a regular chain link fence around the chicken coops and the chicken coops have doubled chicken wire around them . We let our chickens out into the fence for a little but they have a big area around there coops as well . Has worked good for me for about 7 years

Don’t kid yourself, Fox are the worst the worst when it comes to chicken predators. They don’t kill, eat, take a break and then kill again when hungry. Fox are nasty hoarders. Given the opportunity they will take out entire flock in a very short time. They kill , go bury the kill, return and repeat. If they meet no resistance they will take out a flock one after the other and then start removing them. Red lights, fake owls, wolf pee or any other gimmic predator repellent is a waste of your time, money and your chickens livelihoods. Have a Fox problem ? Take them out as quickly as possible. Fox look a lot bigger than they really are and difficult to drop with small caliber or any rim fire type of ammunition. The most effective, if your getting a visual on them , is a shotgun with 00 or 000 buckshot shells are your best choice. If you can’t get a visual and only see the evidence after the fact the next best thing is to snare them. As smart as Fox are they are as stupid when it comes to access to your chickens environment. Once they’ve found an opening they will use it over and over. If you have a fresh entrance point blocking it will only postpone them from securing another. leave the fresh opening as it is. Set a snare in the opening and your fox problem will be over upon their next return. Not sure why but fox walk into a snare without hesitation. There is a downside to the snare so be prepared. As dumb as they were walking into the snare they wise up and don’t choke them selves out. You may have to dispatch it at the trap site. Good luck.

. . . Even bears won't waste time getting in. They do not care about chickens, they only would want the food so keep it in the coop and not in the run.

I know this is a bit off topic, but read through the whole thread and didn't see anyone disputing this, and thought I'd better mention that bear absolutely do like chicken!! in case there's anyone here who isn't aware of that. The one effective deterrent is electric wire - everywhere - preferably baited so the bears get a zap on their tender noses and learn to stay away.

At least 3 people within a couple miles of us have lost chickens to bear over the last decade or so, some repeatedly. Most recently, a bear wiped out our friends' 4 hens, avoiding the electric fence by breaking in through the wooden wall of the attached woodshed/coop. Some years ago a cub was orphaned (and many in town pitched in toward an expensive placement for it with a rehabilitator) when a different neighbor shot momma bear rather than adding electric fence - so it's not just one problem bear.

Every year around this time I have a few chicken come up missing to a fox. Just a few hours ago I lost my first chicken of the year to a fox. I did lock all the chickens up and will keep them locked up for now. I haven't had a fox in the coop yet and don't want it to happen. Do motion sensored lights help keep them away a night? I have to work tonight and thought about getting a few to put up in the morning if it will help. I do have 3 chicken friendly dogs that do a good job at keeping them out of the yard, but my coop is right next to the wood line. Any help would be great.

I have a completely enclosed chicken run to protect from foxes , raccoons and hawks. When the driver showed up to deliverer my chicken coop he said to put rat wire all the way around the chicken run about 2-3 feet out and on top or bury about 1 inch or so. That will keep all animals from digging into the run. When fox or raccoons want to dig into the run they aren't smart enough to back off the fence 2-3 feet. They try to dig up close to the fence.

You keep your chickens outside in the day by using electric poultry fence. I have a covered run and bury wire (Lay it on the ground and cover it with dirt instead of digging) all around the perimeter of the run and coop. Then set 10" x 10" patio pavers all around it. This keeps anything from digging under and getting inside. My run is also covered. You can do half wire and half metal roofing. It will also help protect them from owls and hawks. And they can go outside on a rainy day. If you want, and I have done, put electric fence around the run. All my neighbors have problems with predators. So far none at my house. I did have a cougar come looking thru the fence. But my dogs ran it off.

We had some high winds today and a tree limb fell and hit the side of the coop. It pulled all the wire off of the top half of the coop on one side.

Chickens were out most of the day as we worked on fixing the coop, everyone stayed out of the woods and made it back in alive. I think I will let them out late in the afternoon when I don't have to work and just stay outside with them.

Thanks for all of the help everyone, my electric fence should be here Friday.

I had a problem with foxes a bit ago, there were 5 of them; a mom and 4 babies. They kept coming and trying to find a way into the coop. Maybe I’m just a bit more protective over my chickens than most people, being traumatized from my little hen I lost to a fox last year, but I think about the best way to keep the foxes out is just to secure the coop 100%. Mine has wire and wood going down and wire going under to prevent digging, and the sides are double wired. And I stay out there and watch them while they’re free ranging. I haven’t had any fox problems since I lost the hen. Also, if you get the chance when you see the fox(es), scare them. I threw a brick and yelled at the momma fox when they came near the coop and she made a warning call to her babies and they all ran and I haven’t seen them since. Don’t get me wrong, I love foxes and wouldn’t actually try to hit the mom, just scare her.

Though I definitely don’t think all the electric fence and lights etc would hurt, I don’t think they’re absolutely necessary

Back
Top Bottom