Fox problem

Pics
I have predator proofed my run/coop. If their door is closed, pretty much nothing can get in The run has a steel roof. I built a motorized door that I can open and close with my phone anywhere But when they free range, those dreaded foxes keep coming. After an attack, I have a trap box where I lock a couple chickens (not possible to open) in front of it, I put a coiled trap, spray some fox urine, and put a couple eggs Twice, within 24 hours after the attacks I got the foxes I have another one that keeps coming and it's time to get rid of that one too. I just kill them when I see them trapped. This last one took one and it outsmarted me so badly (just like the others) . But I swore that I'll get that other fox.
Wild animals are part of nature and I am a part of nature, as well. Just like the rest of the animals in nature, us humans are doing the same thing - protecting our flock - in our territories. I do not just go out and hunt around wild animals because I leave them be. If there's a threat to my chickens, I have to eliminate it. I love those wild animals but I have to do whatever it takes to make sure that my chickens are not killed...

Looks like I'm late to the party by how many pages of replies there are here. I don't think I'll bother reading them all. But I totally know how it is to lose birds to predators, it really sucks and a lot of people don't seem to understand what a problem they are. I even came across someone in my area who had a problem with their dog eating their chickens but they refuse to tie them up cause they feel bad about it, if you ask me that's an expensive snack to be letting your dog get away with repeatedly. I used to semi-free range my birds for a while but that's a bad idea because they basically have zero protection from predators should one decide to wander by. It really counts to have a good fence. Yeah these people mention electric, I don't go that far because that's an extra expense but it's not out of the question for me. Personally I find taller fences to be really good, or at least better then small ones that they can jump over and way better then basically nothing at all. The other problem is there's animals that'll dig under the fences to get in, such as skunks going for stealing eggs. So I have yet to figure out how to solve that one, cause you can fill in and barricade the spot where they dug but they'll just find another spot and dig under it again, and again, and again. You pretty much need to have them boxed in with fencing to keep them safe from everything. It's ridiculous.

I can't support your "killing any wild animal " ...you're saving your flock but why put your flock in "harms way" in the first place,I keep my expensive show birds in a huge coop and a huge ,covered run,two just happened to run out one day...it was human error,I I would never kill the fox or weasels. ..you can't just kill a wild animal that's doing what they're brain (for thousands of years)is programmed to do!! It's just not right.

Looks like I'm late to the party by how many pages of replies there are here. I don't think I'll bother reading them all. But I totally know how it is to lose birds to predators, it really sucks and a lot of people don't seem to understand what a problem they are. I even came across someone in my area who had a problem with their dog eating their chickens but they refuse to tie them up cause they feel bad about it, if you ask me that's an expensive snack to be letting your dog get away with repeatedly. I used to semi-free range my birds for a while but that's a bad idea because they basically have zero protection from predators should one decide to wander by. It really counts to have a good fence. Yeah these people mention electric, I don't go that far because that's an extra expense but it's not out of the question for me. Personally I find taller fences to be really good, or at least better then small ones that they can jump over and way better then basically nothing at all. The other problem is there's animals that'll dig under the fences to get in, such as skunks going for stealing eggs. So I have yet to figure out how to solve that one, cause you can fill in and barricade the spot where they dug but they'll just find another spot and dig under it again, and again, and again. You pretty much need to have them boxed in with fencing to keep them safe from everything. It's ridiculous.
You can lay hardware cloth on the immediate outside perimeter of the run like a carpet. Then secure them nicely to the ground in any way you can. Throw some dirt on it and let some grass grow. That's what I have and no raccoon, skunk, fox has been able to make it through.

I can't support your "killing any wild animal " ...you're saving your flock but why put your flock in "harms way" in the first place,I keep my expensive show birds in a huge coop and a huge ,covered run,two just happened to run out one day...it was human error,I I would never kill the fox or weasels. ..you can't just kill a wild animal that's doing what they're brain (for thousands of years)is programmed to do!! It's just not right.
I'm not looking for your support, my friend. You do what you see as fit to protect your flock and I'll do what I see fit to protect my flock. My brain is programmed to protect my birds in the way I think is proper. So have our ancestors as far back as we can trace ;)

Wild animals are part of nature and I am a part of nature, as well. Just like the rest of the animals in nature, us humans are doing the same thing - protecting our flock - in our territories. I do not just go out and hunt around wild animals because I leave them be. If there's a threat to my chickens, I have to eliminate it. I love those wild animals but I have to do whatever it takes to make sure that my chickens are not killed...

Yeah, even my aunt who's a vegan animal lover has come to realize that she has to take measures when they come and eat her birds, she was against that stuff for a really long time, but I guess you can only handle losing so many over time. Cause it's bad enough if they come and hit your flock once. What's worse is some of them won't stop coming back when they realize it's a place to get food, sometimes they even wipe out your entire flock in one or 2 goes. I don't know about some people but I don't spend all my time, money, energy, and love investing into my flock just to let some predator come and wipe them out. I don't hate them, in fact I love them, but boy do I get mad when they eat my birds. You better believe we're going to protect our pets. I can't understand the people that say they're against it, even more so when they own animals that could be eaten and they still say that they're against it. But hey, if they don't mind repeatedly losing birds to the same animal that's their problem.

I don't particularly care if I'm liked or hated,I'm not going to kill a wild animal that's "doing what it's meant to do"...I don't won't to lose my "show birds" but I live in the sticks...I was taught to love every animal,wild or domestic,I'll protect my birds but I won't murder a wild animal who's only purpose is to feed it's young and itself...thats just wrong(I've never taken a mom away from its baby and I'm never going to)

Yeah, even my aunt who's a vegan animal lover has come to realize that she has to take measures when they come and eat her birds, she was against that stuff for a really long time. Cause it's bad enough if they come and hit your flock once. What's worse is some of them won't stop coming back when they realize it's a place to get food, sometimes they even wipe out your entire flock in one or 2 goes. I don't know about some people but I don't spend all my time, money, energy, and love investing into my flock just to let some predator come and wipe them out. I don't hate them, in fact I love them, but boy do I get mad when they eat my birds. You better believe we're going to protect our pets. I can't understand the people that say they're against it, even more so when they own animals that could be eaten and they still say that they're against it. But hey, if they don't mind repeatedly losing birds to the same animal that's their problem.
I know that feeling very well. I had woken up to the screams of my chickens. When I went to my backyard I saw feathers everywhere and dead birds scattered around the yard. Of course there were other attacks too, but this is just one example.

Every year around this time I have a few chicken come up missing to a fox. Just a few hours ago I lost my first chicken of the year to a fox. I did lock all the chickens up and will keep them locked up for now. I haven't had a fox in the coop yet and don't want it to happen. Do motion sensored lights help keep them away a night? I have to work tonight and thought about getting a few to put up in the morning if it will help. I do have 3 chicken friendly dogs that do a good job at keeping them out of the yard, but my coop is right next to the wood line. Any help would be great.

A good aim and a gun work wonders on foxes. Or a trap but they are tricky. I find my husband and his mates are the best control on our farm for foxes.

I don't particularly care if I'm liked or hated,I'm not going to kill a wild animal that's "doing what it's meant to do"...I don't won't tfew o lose my "show birds" but I live in the sticks...I was taught to love every animal,wild or domestic,I'll protect my birds but I won't murder a wild animal who's only purpose is to feed it's young and itself...thats just wrong(I've never taken a mom away from its baby and I'm never going to)
Good for you (really). But you can't judge us for protecting our birds in OUR OWN backyard. You say that animal is doing what its meant to, and I am doing what I'm meant to. Foxes are extremely smart. Smart enough to understand that they shouldn't be in my backyard, terrorizing my chickens. Last few days, that last fox has been coming and scaring my chickens behind the hardware cloth. It jumps towards them from all around the coop, I guess trying to see if there's an exit that one of the chickens will use. Foxes know that there are risks associated with such behaviors. They know that those chickens belong to us. They're smart enough to know that they shouldn't step on a trap when they see one. They know very well that those chickens belong to me. You'd only understand them if you were to encounter them as frequently as I did.

Back
Top Bottom