FRAZZLE Trouble - question please

LeeLeesFarm

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
So. California

Okay....
posting photo of ONE of my almost 4 week old chicks.

I bought 12 frizzles from IDEAL.

6 came in straight feathered so I gave them away to a local pet store.
6 remain.

Out of my 6 remaining:

1 (photo posted below) looks totally FRAZZLED already;
with possibility of FOUR (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) more looking FRAZZLED.

Must say, I am little FRAZZLED myself, after spending time and money raising these babies to have them turn frazzle on me !!!!!!!!
149.gif

So my question is:
even looking as bald as you see in the below photo, will they actually feather in as they mature?
am I over-reacting too early, and this is a typical stage of a healthy FRIZZLE?

or is this guy a true FRAZZLE (and do you think he is a boy?)

If I get real FRAZZLES, would anyone want them FREE?
prefer not to ship, but at this point, I don't think I want to cull 5 birds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention I'm a little mad?
299.gif

Here's the photos of his chest:

photo2offrazzle1-culledjune152008.jpg

photo1offrazzle1-culledjune152008.jpg

Ohhhhh...
maybe I better stick to buying from this board of trusted sellers to get true FRIZZLES .........

off to grumble now.....
Lee

Quote:
I would love to give all frazzles to you, "onthespot" ....
will you take more than just this one, if I have more?

But please let me keep an eye on them for a bit longer, to see if any will actually feather in, or if they frazzle further......

Anyone know if this guy will feather in as he gets older?

Lee

Quote:
Don't know if I can explain it "properly", but here goes.....

Frizzle chickens have feathers that look curled ... they are gorgeous (look on feathersite.com for photos);
but if a breeder / hatchery mates two frizzle parents together you'll get FRAZZLED feathers, which are more brittle, break off, of the chick grows up with bald spots (like my photo).

It seems, frizzled feathers can be found in any breed that has one frizzled (curly feathered) parent, but commonly sold are the COCHINS as frizzled.

More info can be found here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24008

Lee

Ok, as a Frizzle breedert myself I can say HE is for sure a Frazzle. He will feather in as he matures, but it will be difficult to keep him in feather. Frazzles feathers are vert brittle and break easily and its hard to keep them in good shape, speaking of feathers. As a result of the feathers, they cant keep cool in the summer and cant keep warm in the winter as well as other birds. They have no down feathers, or under fluff as some people call it, to help with this and it makes it difficult for the birds to live normally. If the proper care and attention is given they can be bred and raised. But I myself think its more trouble than it worth seeing as they can have other health issues as well carrying a double gene like they do. I raise SQ birds so they are usless(and would never show up in my flock) as a breeder or a shower and need to be culled. But they do make good pets, just a little more attention required. If you have any questions let me know, I will help you out the best way I know how if you need anything. He sure is a cute little boy tho!

~Casey

Mr. Ree :

Ok, as a Frizzle breedert myself I can say HE is for sure a Frazzle. He will feather in as he matures, but it will be difficult to keep him in feather. Frazzles feathers are vert brittle and break easily and its hard to keep them in good shape, speaking of feathers. As a result of the feathers, they cant keep cool in the summer and cant keep warm in the winter as well as other birds. They have no down feathers, or under fluff as some people call it, to help with this and it makes it difficult for the birds to live normally. If the proper care and attention is given they can be bred and raised. But I myself think its more trouble than it worth seeing as they can have other health issues as well carrying a double gene like they do. I raise SQ birds so they are usless(and would never show up in my flock) as a breeder or a shower and need to be culled. But they do make good pets, just a little more attention required. If you have any questions let me know, I will help you out the best way I know how if you need anything. He sure is a cute little boy tho!

~Casey

THANK YOU .....
this is a wealth of information.

Living in a very hot desert area, I believe a Frazzle would be too much for me to care for, so I will need to cull or give any Frazzles away.

Lee

__________​

Back
Top Bottom