free pigeons ad! this barn for loft? *video*

ohiogoatgirl

Songster
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
ohio
there is a local-ish ad for roller pigeons. free, about a dozen, just come pick em up. this seems like a pretty good opportunity to start for a newbie like me.
how would you rate rollers for squabbing?

I did a video just this morning and its mostly the section of barn I was looking at turning pigeon loft. would love to know what yall think! it's about 10ft by 6ft by maybe 7ft tall. don't mind the clutter.

and I had a whole spiel typed out a minute ago and my laptop pooped out and rebooted the internet so I will get back to all that in a minute after I get some lunch and focus on not throwin the darn laptop lol.

Rollers are extremely prolific breeders; however, if you mean 'squabbing' for meat they are rather small. Great entertainment in the air, but they are very vulnerable to hawk attack. I raised them and loved them, but the hawks put me out of business.

thanks. ya I would be aiming for meat/egg production. I would be fine with smaller birds to start with. gotta learn on something. plus as I learn I could work on finding other stock and phasing out the lesser stock and breed more of the better stock.

my idea for the loft would be just the enclosed barn area. add on a flight cage (I think that's what its called) and maybe later once I am pretty settled on what I want I would build a nice loft shed and aviary run section outside.

They are of little use for meat... this breed is very small and light. It would be more bother than its worth for me to process them.

You are better getting real meat pigeons.. like runts or kings.. they are prolific (as are all pigeon breeds).. but they mature faster and put on a huge amount of weight quickly.

They are of little use for meat... this breed is very small and light. It would be more bother than its worth for me to process them.

You are better getting real meat pigeons.. like runts or kings.. they are prolific (as are all pigeon breeds).. but they mature faster and put on a huge amount of weight quickly.

thank you for the input. my problem is finding them. I mean I have been researching off and on for over a year and other than having seen some pigeons at auctions and knowing one old crazy guy who has since moved away that had pigeons.... I don't know of any locally. except the free ad.
of course I am thinking its safe to assume there are gonna be some breeders in the state. haha. but I am in a very small rural area and i'm betting most of any within my driving distance are just kept and not really true breeders or fanciers. thus is the conundrum of the small town ohio! as it is the free birds ad is an hour away and near my maximum driving distance I would be able to travel to. starting out with so-so stock and learning for when you can get the good stock is often very helpful to learning.

how would you rate rollers for squabbing? Something to make you wish you had a utility pigeon (Ex. King pigeon or Runt)

I did a video just this morning and its mostly the section of barn I was looking at turning pigeon loft. would love to know what yall think! it's about 10ft by 6ft by maybe 7ft tall.

Your biggest concern in that proposed loft is to have it predator proof from raccoons, weasels, or rats.

With that in mind go for it.

One tip I would have profited by is always remember to shut the loft door. Maybe a spring or counter weight to insure the door is always closed.

Speaking from experience here!

Last edited:
thanks. I don't think we have weasels here? /: I know my main enemy is raccoons. I just chased a fatty off the porch a couple hours ago! urgh! but I know rats became a problem when my parents had chickens so them too.

Weasels will wipe you out in one encounter. They are a member of the mink family. Raccoons are bad as well especially when you fail to close the door to your loft. Ask me how I KNOW. My flock was decimated and wiped out on two occasions.

Check out my link in my signature for a interview that was done on me and my grand daughter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom